And the Katahdin begins

It's a turn key project and you can't trick me into setting a time for completion.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aw man, you ain't like them reality shows on tv and going to have this done in 8 weeks??

Seriously, look forward to the build. Always wanted to live in a log cabin until I realized they are very high maintenance. Will stick with my metal roofed, metal sided home.

Chuck for my education can u say what size those joists are and what your view is of correct distance between centers for a decent floor.
My first NA home had those "fabricated" joists with OSB sandwiched between strips of pine. I ended up lapping them with 2x10 to stop the sagging and help with creaking floors.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

These are 2x10 14 foot span 16" on center. If it was up to me they would have been 2x12 16" on center. But they guy with way more education than me says 2x10 is acceptable.

554b28391cb5a828aed90bb6bdace373.jpg

Messing around and for now my phone is sending pics right side up. We shall see how long this lasts.

fd32f7aef4c4b39c4c4621c93150cd71.jpg

already for logs. And the well pounder.
a7cec115a1d82f84e641e76bc37c4c5e.jpg

A look down the tote road that used to go to the peg mill.
036bc4ae3964bd929fbcf646635fc1ce.jpg

The view from the deck

Last edited:
Chuck,

This is a neat, follow along, thread. I posted in it a couple days ago, however, I don't see it. I assume that is because I am 90 and my brains leaked out 15 or 20 years ago so I forgot to poke "send."

That is beautiful country. I am sure you will enjoy it so I'll say,
Enjoy,
JimB

Ah, thanks Chuck - although I enjoyed looking the other one up :D I was familiar with using pegs for boots and figured that must have been it based on a guestimate of the age of the road.

I'm guessing they were most likely this type then: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Wood-Clothespins-Round-Peg/dp/B009CH4MN8

I'm not sure what they called the peg clothespins around here when they were still common, maybe just pegs (could certainly see it) they were out of style before my time even when we hung everything on the line. As an aside the peg clothespins are neat little pieces for carving small dolls, etc.. out of (I haven't myself but have seen quite a few and enjoyed looking at them anyway).

The fact there is a road officially named "detour" is sort of amusing in its own right (although you can see how it would have gotten the name).

Sometime I need to get my Australian Cousin out to that side of the country, he thinks this side has a lot of water :rofl:

So what kind of machinery are you going to use to set the logs? A telehandler, crane with straps or???

The logs will be set by hand. They are only 6 X 6 X 8 is the longest they come and being dry eastern cedar they won't weigh much. As long as I can reach everything the rafters and purlins will be set with a telehandler.

Last edited: