Cherry bookcases

That would be a fun project to build. :thumb:

Jonathan I don't think you would feel comfortable having to make so many moves to get to a gun. just make the cabinet and let the wife decorate with her things. :)

You don't need fast access to ALL of your guns. I have a few in various "quick" locations and the rest are locked up.

I understand the need of keeping guns concealed and away from sight to prevent theft, but I wonder why would anyone make a video later and post in on youtube. :huh::dunno:

Vaughn has it correct, he has them advertised at $4,500.00. No, am not considering building that. A 64 gun safe is in my future. Just thought it neat and would like to see one after about 5 to 10 years of use.

While these are cool, you're right, long term use of one would show the wear and make things obvious that it's not what it seems. Besides, even if I'm at home, one is only a belt loop or pocket away. For the rest, they can go in the safe, I'll use that one to make my way to the safe if need be. ;)

That was a neat cabinet and I like secret compartments and such... not sure I would use it for guns. As was said, a lot of use would show wear and tear and give away the obvious. I'm not an advocate of guns, though with events like San Bernadino, may have to rethink my position... but I read a statistic somewhere that said more people are killed with their own guns than by invaders with guns...

The only murder trial I sat the jury on was a case where a man was killed in a convenience store... he had a gun, a .38, under the counter, the robber ran in with a .45, shot up the place, jumped the counter and struck the clerk in the head with the .45, then grabbed the .38 from under the counter or from the clerk and shot the man to death with his own gun....

...I read a statistic somewhere that said more people are killed with their own guns than by invaders with guns...

I doubt there are stats to prove it, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people who get killed with their own guns are not trained (and regularly practiced) in the use of those guns. And I don't mean going to the range every few years to stand there and shoot holes in round targets. I'm talking about practical/tactical training where you practice drawing from a holster and shooting while moving and/or at moving targets. I'm an advocate of concealed carry, but I feel (in my state, at least) that the qualification testing is far too easy. I've seen several people "qualify" for their CC permit who haven't a clue how to handle their gun safely at the range, let alone in an emergency situation. Equally frightening to me is that there are some "professional" armed security guards out there who are not as trained or competent with their weapons than I am. I met a guy a year or two ago who was working the late shift at a 24 hour restaurant, and he had never fired the company-issued gun he was carrying. He was also on partial disability due to a brain injury. :rolleyes:

I doubt there are stats to prove it, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people who get killed with their own guns are not trained (and regularly practiced) in the use of those guns. And I don't mean going to the range every few years to stand there and shoot holes in round targets. I'm talking about practical/tactical training where you practice drawing from a holster and shooting while moving and/or at moving targets. I'm an advocate of concealed carry, but I feel (in my state, at least) that the qualification testing is far too easy. I've seen several people "qualify" for their CC permit who haven't a clue how to handle their gun safely at the range, let alone in an emergency situation. Equally frightening to me is that there are some "professional" armed security guards out there who are not as trained or competent with their weapons than I am. I met a guy a year or two ago who was working the late shift at a 24 hour restaurant, and he had never fired the company-issued gun he was carrying. He was also on partial disability due to a brain injury. :rolleyes:

Every vets should be issued a CC permit. Just a thought.

Not sure if even that is a good idea.. in keeping with what Vaughn said, real training is probably a thing of the past... as a people we want things easy and fast... pay a fee, listen to a 15 minute lecture and get a license.... I'm a veteran from the '60's... according to my military record, I am a qualified marksman with an M1-carbine and as a second class petty office I had to qualify with a .45 pistol.... to this date, I have never held an M1 carbine, never fired one and likely never seen one... in boot camp I was at a dental appointment the day my company went to the firing range... my chief didn't want to bother with making arrangements for me to go with another company at a later date, so he "qualified" me ...

in my second year as a 2nd class petty officer, I remarked to the gunners mate that I had never fired the .45... he took me to the fantail of the ship, loaded a .45 and handed it to me... he said shoot at that balloon (a rubber weather balloon the weather gang had just launched).. 1. you are not likely to shoot down india rubber weather balloon with a .45, 2. probably couldn't see if I hit it or not... I figure my real target was the Pacific ocean... that I'm pretty sure I hit... after that I was "qualified" with a .45.

I agree that if we are going to issue permits and let people carry guns openly (or concealed), the training and requirements should be pretty strict and should take several classes and then should be refreshed every couple of year. As said, I am not an advocate for guns, nor am I an advocate for gun controls... (gun controls would not work in this country - the gun freedom is far too ingrained in the American culture and should remain so.).... I am an advocate that certain types of guns and ammunition to be removed from the general public, I believe there is a vast difference between a sportman's weapon and pieces like the AR15 or AK47...

Just a note to keep this on topic, I.e. the Cherry Bookcases.

IF you want to talk the politics of gun laws, please go to Facebook. Plenty of people there will oblige you.