Bent lamination dresser pulls, process and results.

Dewayne Baker

Several months ago I shared a design idea for bent lamination dresser pulls. I have some process and results photos to share.

Drawerface2alt_zpsda987b14.png

I begin by creating templates, bending form and shop sawn veneers of cherry and curly maple.

DSCF3882_zpsmv2abw8r.jpg

The veneers are glued up using weldwood plastic resin glue and a vacuum press.

DSCF3884_zpsw5gdeolr.jpg

DSCF3886_zpsq7hmrchr.jpg

The laminations are scraped, sanded and jointed on one edge.

DSCF3888_zpsid0gyoxv.jpg

I created a curved support jig for cross cutting the bent laminations. It comes in handy for scraping and sanding the inside of the curved pieces too.

DSCF3898_zpssehcc0qk.jpg

DSCF3896_zpsvzpyqsyz.jpg

The pulls are then ripped to width

DSCF3900_zpsgn7fesap.jpg

The pulls will be attached to the drawer fronts with contrasting walnut dowels and a flat long grain surface. A curved jig is used at the table saw to trim away the ends of the curved pieces to create the flat surface needed for attaching the pulls.

DSCF3901_zpse03txont.jpg

Once the pieces are cut to dimension I drill ¼” holes for the dowels. A fence and stop block ensures accurate repetitive drilling.

DSCF3902_zpse7qrbu41.jpg

The ends of the pulls are rounded over using a disc sander.
With all the parts pre sanded the pulls are glued to the drawer faces.
I am satisfied with the end results and have achieved the look and functionality I envisioned. I created two sizes of these pulls. A narrow 7/8” single dowel and a wider 1 ½” double dowel version. The 7/8” version is shown below on what will be the drawer faces for the convertible changing table I built years ago.

DSCF3919alt_zps0wad5epc.jpg

DSCF3919alt_zps0wad5epc.jpg

Thanks for looking.

That's a well thought out process, and very nice final results. Thanks for documenting and sharing with us, Dewayne. :thumb:

Dewayne, Thanks for taking the time to snap some pictures and share your process....It's greatly appreciated! I really like the look of those pulls. A couple of years or more ago I purchased a vacuum bag, but it's still in the box. Your post just might get me motivated.:thumb::thumb:

Those are very nice and unique, not going to see something like that at IKEA are you :thumb:

Just the kind of touch that really makes a handmade piece of furniture that much more special.

I've always wanted to add a vacuum bag to my set up, I have a very good vacuum pump I use on the lathe.

Cheers!

Great looking pulls, Dewayne! Good job!!!

I've done a boat load of bentwood lamination over the years using an old refrigeration evacuation pump. The venturi systems I've seen make a lot of noise. How loud is the one you got?

Dewayne, mucho thanks for this fine documentary. I will be doing some bent lamination for a dining room buffet cabinet in the next month or two. I'll use some of what you showed here for sure. I like your large bottom platen. Does it bow at all?
I haven't had an issue with the bottom platen bowing. I made two of them. I can glue up several panels at once between the 5' X 5' top and bottom platens. It is necessary to place calls of the same thickness as the glue up panels if you don't have enough to fill the platen area .

Great looking pulls, Dewayne! Good job!!!

I've done a boat load of bentwood lamination over the years using an old refrigeration evacuation pump. The venturi systems I've seen make a lot of noise. How loud is the one you got?
the venture is very quiet. it's the compressor I use to run it that's noisy. The system holds a vacuum very well and once I have the bag under vacuum I can turn the compressor off and leave the shop for the night.

the venture is very quiet. it's the compressor I use to run it that's noisy. The system holds a vacuum very well and once I have the bag under vacuum I can turn the compressor off and leave the shop for the night.

The silencer on your must work really well. When I worked in a commercial shop several years ago, the venturi systems they had hissed so loud they had to be covered with a furniture blanket; even then they could be heard clearly.