Cabinet Door Repairs

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My boss has two cabinet doors she's been trying to find a cabinet shop to re-produce as the hinge areas on them were broken out. None of the local shops were interested in messing with them or didn't have the bits needed, and she asked if I'd be willing to make them. After she described the issue I told her to bring me the exist doors an I'd see if I could do anything with them.

Here's what I came up with as the solution. I used a dado to clear out the existing tear-out, then fitted new pieces of MDF into them. To help join the new pieces to the doors on the butted edge, I went with a few dowels around the hinge areas to add extra support. I've probably used those dowel markers a handful of times, but boy do they work, got a perfect fit with them and a brad point bit.
2015-12-06 14.28.13.jpg 2015-12-06 14.27.49.jpg 2015-12-06 14.27.36.jpg 2015-12-06 14.27.30.jpg

I had to order the detachable hinge router bit, should be here next week to finish things up.

Thanks guys, just took them out of the clamps and got good tight bonds everywhere. Will get them puttied up here and there, sanded down, seal the patches, and wait for the router bit to arrive this week. I have the feeling I'll be doing more for her in the future, those things aren't made very well in the first place.

In hindsight don't u think it might have been better to put a piece of hardwood in there instead of MDF something like poplar given u going to paint them?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

So Carol isn't the only one with a John Deere tractor, how is yours working out for you?:roll eyes:
Great repair job by the way!:thumb:

Ha, you know those green tractors, so easy to operate, even a 1 1/2 year old can do it. :rofl:

In hindsight don't u think it might have been better to put a piece of hardwood in there instead of MDF something like poplar given u going to paint them?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It's what I had on hand and I don't think either will survive long term, but I think she'll remodel the kitchen before these wear out. I think she's mostly just wanting them fixed before her holiday party rolls around.