What I have been up to

I can see them now stuffing their faces and pitching up with a small punnet to pay. I would sooner mechanically harvest and sell the whole lot wholesale.

Rob, we go to a pick-your-own every August to pick our year's supply of blueberries. We've done that for 8 or more years now. Blueberries freeze so easily and well.
I don't think eating is really a worry, based on what I've seen. Sure we all eat some. Maybe a handful, maybe two handfuls for the kids. More likely that they'll wander off and play to try and avoid picking. As I look around most people are mostly hard core picking. I think that the birds are more of a worry...

I also see some farms trying to do more and more to separate you from your money. So they add a tractor hay ride. They add a store with lots of jams and knick knacks and stuff. They add a play area for the kids. All kinds of things to try and make it more of an "event" and less just a farm. I'm very happy to have "just a farm" to visit, as all I want to do is pick them and go home. :D