Does anyone else do this

Mark E Smith

Am I crazy...I was working in the shop making a little clock/temp gauge thingy. Wanted to use walnut base with a piece of curly maple at an angle with the gauges in it..nothing special, just a quick little project. But I just couldn't do a quick job..I went through half a dozen pieces of scrape wood, which is what I am using for this project, and had to sit them up and look at them for ten or fifteen minutes each to study the grain pattern..etc...took me two hours to come up with the perfect piece to use on this QUICK project...lol..is it just me, or can you just grab some scrape wood and slap it together...I just can't seem to make myself do that...I HAVE to look at it from every angle and just make it soooo complicated, the grain has to be perfect, I have to use the perfect joints...etc...it's a sickness.. especially when you consider I don't think anybody notices the time you take to do this kind of nuttiness ...lol .. just wondering if anyone else has this affliction

Nope, never :whistling:

Usually doesn't help either because I still see all the things I should have done differently. I'm trying to get better about just going at it and letting the chips fall where they may.

I've gone as far as milling, shaping and getting a piece of wood exactly like it should be, then didn't like the result. So, I started over with a different piece and finished with what I wanted. It's the "artistry" side of our "fun". :)

I have abandoned a couple of projects by just setting them on a shelf, because I didn't like the wood even after I carefully selected it! Then years later returned to them and used the wood on another project or completed them. One was a box, I didn't like the figured veneer on the lid. I finally made another box for the lid. Another is a bed side table that still sets because the sides are poor match to the legs, it may get painted.

Bill

lol..well glad it's not just me...just spent an hour hand sanding the piece I FINALLY decided to use....I only work on the weekends, so I should finish this QUICK project in two or three weeks...lmao

Well here is an update on my Quick project..lol...Don't know if the pic quite capture just how beautiful this wood really is, but I'll post it anyways, which is why I guess I get so crazy to find just the right pieces. Well also post the final product, and again this is nothing fancy. The base is Walnut and the face is curly maple with Walnut trim set at a 20 degree angle. These pics show it with 3 coats of rub on poly, think I'll probably put on another 4 or 5 coats then hand buff with paste wax before putting on the gauges...

Attachments

• IMG_20151214_140722.jpg
    IMG_20151214_140722.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20151214_140659.jpg
    IMG_20151214_140659.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20151214_140710.jpg
    IMG_20151214_140710.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20151214_141115.jpg
    IMG_20151214_141115.jpg