Shop Layout Question

Aaron Beaver

I have moved and am finally working on getting the shop laid out so I can get some electrical ran that is needed. Do you guys see any major issues with this layout?

The only thing I don't like is the router table and miter saw placement as if I have long pieces on the router table I will have to move the miter saw or table, but both are on wheels so it should be that big of deal. I will leave enough dust collector house to move either one out if needed.

I am just trying to keep the amount of dust collection pipe needed to a minimum plus leave room for future tools if I ever get one. Only tool I can think of right now is a belt sander.

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts. Thanks for any suggestions.

Shop Layout.jpg

Might make the router table part of the outfeed table of the tablesaw and move the mitre saw to the end on the future bench. Long pieces can be accommodated and dust collection is not compromised. Only thing that would make me irritated is hauling wood all the way through the shop to store it. I like it near the doorway and near the breakdown to size tools. Maybe sheet material against one wall of the garage area and solid wood against the opposite wall? That open space is a great assembly area, finish area, and sheet break down area. Without schlepping wood across the shop to store it and then back out into an area where you can work it.

Something to think about.

I think I would install a 36" door from the out side over in the wood storage area where I could back up & unload sheet goods & hard/soft wood.

I would turn the table-saw so that the material would be pushed through it towards the large door on the front of the shop.

The miter-saw would be on the other end of the shop (back wall) with a current project lumber rack just above the miter-saw. The band-saw would be close

to the bench & the bench would not be fastened to the wall. The planer/Jointer would be closer to the table-saw.

One of the items I've seen in a few shops is the smaller tools like the band-saw, spindle sander, combo sander,Drill-press miter saw etc hooked up to their

own shop vacuum. The reason being less DC ducting & the DC isn't designed to be started & stopped many many times in a row. All the smaller tools would

be along the long wall on the left.

Remember we all work differently so your & our idea's of how to arrange the tools is seen from a different view point.

Layout2

Thinking about this after reading these few comments I made a new layout, not much different but using some of the suggestions you guys gave.

1. Moved combo sander, drum sander and drill press to left wall and add a shop vac for dust collection, that would save a lot of duct, Thanks Bart
2. Moved miter saw and router table to back wall

Notes:
a.) I can't add a door to the right wall because there is another building (barn) on that side and not accessible by vehicle.
b.) I tried rotating the table saw but that put the extension really close to the jointer table and they are not the same height, I need room to pass longer boards without hitting anything
c.) I placed the bandsaw where I did because in my old shop I was using long pieces on it (don't have a good jigsaw) and the board was hitting the wall when I was trying to make my radius cuts, so I was trying to give plenty of room around the bandsaw, plus I resawed some longer pieces too.
d.) wood storage: just so you know those "boards" on the floor that separate the Mechanical area are just layout lines for me to use, there is no wall there, so I can back up in that door and unload. I would say 95% of the time that area will be clear so I can even walk through it with wood I am getting ready to use.

Here's the new layout
Shop Layout2.jpg

Now, on a serious note: Our previous home gave no opportunity for a seperate structure of any type due to HOA restrictions. Also, the two-car garage had to be able to hold one car at any given time. Over a period of about three years, I accumulated most of the shop tools I have now. By keeping one side organized to allow moving tools out of the way, my wife could always park on her side of the garage. I had the usual tools: table saw, 13" planer on a mobile cabinet, disc and oscillating spindle sander on a mobile cabinet, jointer on a mobile base. My bench and 17" band saw were fixed. I could roll out everything, do a day's work, then roll all back into storage in five minutes. Just some thoughts on using the "mechanical" space.

I think either would serve you just fine. To be honest, I know you would like to get it right the first time...but almost certainly you will tweak the layout as you form various work habits, change tools, add tools (not all of us do that....:D) and so on.