Carbide Processors - Source for Carbide Inserts

glenn bradley

Any of us with spiral heads are aware of the initial premium we pay for these cutters. Hopefully we are all aware of how quickly you more than pay for that premium in the extended life of four-sided carbide inserts versus knives. Some day you will need to replace those cutters and I am always on the lookout for a source more reasonable than Grizzly (at almost $6 each!!!).

I contacted our own Tom Waltz and got a hold of some Southeast Tool 141420’s at about $2 each. I was concerned as they are a decimal point or so smaller than the Grizzly although both are spec’d as 14mm x 14mm x 2mm. I went ahead and installed a couple in my existing jointer head full of original Grizzly inserts on their 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] edge.

The cuts came out great. There was no indication of the minor size difference probably due to the overlap geometry of the spiral head. Whatever the reason, they performed fine and I now have another source for these inserts. Since my jointer and planer both use them I tend to pick up a 10pack here and there to help me avoid sticker shock when I finally get to the fourth side of the current sets of inserts.

I had picked up on this outfit in another thread somewhere. They also have the Byrd cutters (apparently the real thing since they are stamped BT on the insert) for a lot less than they are listed for elsewhere ($2.61 ea.). I see they are currently out of stock, but if I have to buy more this is where I'll go. Funny thing, in the other post the fellow was really bent out of shape about the small dimension difference....ranting at all parties concerned. Glad to hear it doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited:
Funny thing, in the other post the fellow was really bent out of shape about the small dimension difference...

Maybe he installed a third of the cutters all on one end of the head? One could certainly make it make a difference but, for the occasional replacement or a full set, it seems to be a non-issue.