A wood doll that I just carved for a lady in Tennessee

steve kelly

Here's a doll that I carved that's a grandson of a lady that lives near Gatlinburg Tennessee...he's 12 years old, the body is made of hardwood maple and the hair and eyebrows are made of walnut wood....the clothes and the belt are also hand made.....The doll is about 24 inches tall. P1120227.jpgP1120228.jpg

Last edited:
:score:

:clap: :clap:

Pretty much looks like him, really like the hands and feet actually, they just have an "about right" feel to them.

The join between the face and the hair looks pretty much seamless. I'd be interested in hearing how you did that on a curved surface like that?

Hi Ryan....I'm sorry that I'm just now getting back to you....I can't really tell you on how I matched up the two curved surfaces....I pretty much carve one and then the other until they match up....I just take it at a slow pace. It would probably be easier to just carve it on the same piece of wood and then paint it.....But I'm not always about things being easier...I like a challenge.

The picture I first showed was not actually the picture I carved the doll by....This boy is now 12 years old... but in the picture I showed, he was 9 or 10 years old. I really had to carve the doll from two different pictures...WHY?....The boy shaved off his hair and the grandmother didn't like it so she wanted the latest picture of the boy carved but she wanted the hair that he used to have.....Here's a picture of him now.....P1120254.jpgP1120260.jpg The grandmother also wanted me to make a shirt and shoes that were camouflaged because that what he wore when he went hunting....The shoes were a real challenge!...I just now got them doneP1120261.jpgP1120262.jpg.....She hasn't seen the doll yet....I just hope she likes it.

Ryan....I appreciate the nice comments!!

Last edited:
But I'm not always about things being easier...I like a challenge.

Heh, can't argue with that :D No problem, I was just wondering if you had figured out some trick. I've been thinking about a project that has a (very) vaguely similar profile of two nested pieces and fitting them seemed like it was going to be ..tedious..

The shoes came out quite nice, the clothing is something probably under appreciated. Sewing a full sized shirt is challenge enough, making a full set of cloths at scale... yeesh! You are an extremely patient man :thumb:

Ryan...One thing that I should have done differently....I didn't think about it at the time but I should have used a lighter shade of wood on the eyebrows...He looks kind of like one of the Marx Brothers...I believe it was Groucho Marx that had the heavy dark eyebrows.....I won't make that mistake again....I just think that you all were just to nice to tell me that.

Ryan...One thing that I should have done differently....I didn't think about it at the time but I should have used a lighter shade of wood on the eyebrows...He looks kind of like one of the Marx Brothers...I believe it was Groucho Marx that had the heavy dark eyebrows.....I won't make that mistake again....I just think that you all were just to nice to tell me that.

Hah, well the truth is that the first person to criticize most of our work and the only person to see the majority of the flaws is ourself.

In this case I think it'll work out because the walnut will fade with time so you can claim that was pre-planned ;)

Thanks Leo....I appreciate your comment...If I do have a skill?...It's not of my own....It's God given...So I'll give Him the credit. The only credit I'll take will be for the mistakes in my life where I should have known better.