different

neil mackay

Ok here an idea I have been looking at for some time now. Random patterns seem to be more of a challenge than the alternative, or maybe its just my thought adjustment is taking a bit of time. :)

20cm or 8" by about 6.5" finished with DIY DO and nitrocellulose a couple of coats and buffed. Its still a bit too shiny for my liking, but it appeals to the women folk. For me the shape is not as good as it should or could be. Actually if you turn it up side down its looks better and with that in mind I have another on the lathe of a different shape, but its looking better.
I have added three images at it varies as you go around it, probably need a little slow spinning Gif etc to do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 32
That's an eyeball catcher all right. I like the idea. The execution is also first rate, while I'm with you on the glossy being able to hit that with all of those curves is truly impressive.

I'm torn on the layout. I keep wanting to apply order to the spirals, but they keep defying my ability to do so. I guess that's sort of the idea of it, it certainly adds to the tension of the piece and keeps the eye on it longer. The spiral sections that begin or end in the middle of other sections in particular tickles my OCD (for better or worse :D). I suspect that that was the effect you were going for though ;) :thumb:

The first picture looks like an angled shot of a wrapped mummy's face kind of looking out of the corner of his right eye towards us.
That is so crazy cool. I cannot imagine the time and talent it takes to make that, but it is a homerun for sure!!