New way to do wipe on poly

Mark E Smith

Doing a project with a clock temp gauge and about mid way through I stumbled onto a new way to put on Minwax wipe on poly. Usually I cut small pieces of T-shirt to put this stuff on, I use rubber gloves etc...always had a problem with runs, wipe marks, lint, you name it which required lots of sanding between coats. Today, just on a lark, I got to thinking some times I use my shop towels (the paper blue ones) to put on stain, so why not use it for wipe on poly...OMG...this is the only way I am ever gonna do wipe on again. Don't need gloves cause you just need to dip a small bunch of the paper towel into the poly, I have always used a three inch pvc end cap to hold my poly, works great after a while you just take a screw driver and pop out the build up, poly won't stick to pvc..haha...I took the blue shop towel sheet, bunched it up and dipped it into the poly cup and wiped it onto my project...this went on SSOOOO SMoooth..it was shocking, better then spray on actually, I was shocked, had to pass this on... took some pics, not sure if they really convey just how smooth this went on...no bubbles, no lint, no brush marks, nothing just a SMOOTH layer of wipe on poly, didn't need gloves, cause just the bunched up part of the towel is wet, no need to follow the grain of the wood, just wipe it on any which way, it goes on so smooth, doesn't matter, no over runs, the paper seems to meter out just what is needed. Some times the things that seem like stupid is the best way to do things...lol

IMG_20151226_163940.jpgIMG_20151226_163840.jpgIMG_20151226_163819.jpg

I had picked up on that tip somewhere else some time back, and they are all I ever use (now). Having the same problems with cloth rags that you did they are a great alternative.

Great tip Mark. There is a small table in my garage/shop waiting to be completed. Your tip sounds good. How does that work out on vertical surfaces?

Bill

Works just as well, my little clock thing sits at a 20 degree angle off the base and it looks great, no drips or runs, I think with the shop towel it only allows a thin even coat, the paper sucks up any excess, works great, and seems to meter out the rest evenly. I used Scott blue paper towel rolls you get at Lowes, but I assume any blue shop towel will work. Haven't tried it on a big project yet, so don't know how well the paper towels hold up, when I used them for staining, they held up quite well, so I assumed it will with this as well. Stated using them for staining when I watched the Charles Neil's videos, he used them, and started buying his products. What I like most about this, is not having to work with the grain, like you do with just about any other method, except spraying. Just slap it on with the paper towel any old way, doesn't make any difference because it doesn't leave any hint of streaking..just a smooth thin coat...still amazes me...lol

Wipe on poly is my go to finish... I use it almost every thing I turn... I also use the T-shirt and gloves, sanding between coats method...
I'm on my way to Lowe's on Thursday - after breakfast with some friends - to pick up some pieces for a kitchen cart/chopping block table for the missus... I'll pick up a roll of the show towels and give that a try.

I generally try to wipe the application pretty dry, but the towels might solve the problem of having the applicator saturated. Good hint thanks.

Thanks Mark. Whenever the elves complete the table that sets in my shop I will use your tip. Seriouesly, I'm working on the drawers and top. When completed the weather should better for finishing. Every now and then my wife ask's " are you done with my table yet".

Bill

What's the best way to dispose of used towels? Any safety issues ?

I've taken to putting them in the Chimenia (outdoor fireplace) and lighting them on fire. I don't think most WOP products have a huge fire danger compared to some higher oil content products but I suspect at least some of them exhibit exothermic reactions when drying so why take the chance. They're probably supposed to be treated as hazmat or something but at the scale I produce them I'm not getting to excited about it.

Every now and then my wife ask's " are you done with my table yet".

Funny I've been getting asked the same question for 4 years and counting.. Its back on the bench again anyway :rolleyes: :rofl:

Have to do an update on this thread..I gave out the wrong info..I assumed I was using Scott blue towels and that there wasn't any difference in blue shop towels. I was WRONG, there is a big difference in blue shop towels. I thought I was using Scott towels, but evidently I was using Sellers Toolbox blue shop towels from Lowes. I found out when I ran out of towels and picked up some Scott towels from Walmart, went to put on some poly on a new project I am working on...OMG...what a difference, got runs, bubbles...you name it, horrible outcome, and I don't know what kind of chemicals they got going on in them Scott towels, but the next day after a coat of poly, the towels was still wet...what..how can that be, seems there is some kind of chem reaction going on, that prevents the poly from setting. Immediately went to Lowes and picked up a roll of Toolbox blue shop towels. Problem solved, back to the smooth wipe on poly application, no bubbles, no runs , just a smooth coat of poly. Now are Scott towels better/worst then Toolbox, don't know, but if you plan to use them for stain or poly applications, better stick to the Toolbox brand, they are far better the Scotts. So anybody that tried the Scotts, I am sorry, didn't mean to give out bad info, honest mistake, I thought that is what I was using, but I wasn't...

Last edited:
Mark, every since your first posting I've been using your method with great success. The kicker though is I've been using the Scott's towels. I think I'll pick-up a roll of Sellers and compare the two but like I said, so far, the Scotts have worked for me.

Have to do an update on this thread..I gave out the wrong info..I assumed I was using Scott blue towels and that there wasn't any difference in blue shop towels. I was WRONG, there is a big difference in blue shop towels. I thought I was using Scott towels, but evidently I was using Sellers Toolbox blue shop towels from Lowes. I found out when I ran out of towels and picked up some Scott towels from Walmart, went to put on some poly on a new project I am working on...OMG...what a difference, got runs, bubbles...you name it, horrible outcome, and I don't know what kind of chemicals they got going on in them Scott towels, but the next day after a coat of poly, the towels was still wet...what..how can that be, seems there is some kind of chem reaction going on, that prevents the poly from setting. Immediately went to Lowes and picked up a roll of Toolbox blue shop towels. Problem solved, back to the smooth wipe on poly application, no bubbles, no runs , just a smooth coat of poly. Now are Scott towels better/worst then Toolbox, don't know, but if you plan to use them for stain or poly applications, better stick to the Toolbox brand, they are far better the Scotts. So anybody that tried the Scotts, I am sorry, didn't mean to give out bad info, honest mistake, I thought that is what I was using, but I wasn't...

I responded that I was on my way to Lowe's and was going to get some towels to try your method... never made it to Lowe's.
I still use the old t-shirt method, I have an old plastic butter dish that I put the towel in, just enough WOP to saturate the towel, then wipe
my pieces... I then use a Sparkle brand paper towel to wipe off the excess... rarely ever have a drip, run or bubble. I do sand lightly between coats with a 220 or 320 grit sanding disc... one of those little cloth backed ones that I get from Packardwoods or CSUSA... then repeat. I use the Sparkle brand because that's the brand LOML buys and I just borrow a roll from her when I need it.

question was raised about disposal... sometimes I just leave the t-shirt in the butter dish until it drys (with the lid on) or else I hang them over the side of my trash can... they generally dry in an hour or so so not much danger of spontaneous combustion.

Mark, every since your first posting I've been using your method with great success. The kicker though is I've been using the Scott's towels. I think I'll pick-up a roll of Sellers and compare the two but like I said, so far, the Scotts have worked for me.

Glad to hear that, they are probably ok, like I said, I used the Scotts too, but did notice some bubbling and the not drying thing kinda bothered me. The Sellers didn't do that...seemed to work better. They are certainly more expensive then the Toolbox for sure...got a 6 roll pack of the toolbox for 11 bucks the Scootts are a little more