Cherry Oops

Roger Martin

Long time since I have posted due to lots of reasons but have a situation with a gift made for my wife and thought this forum has the most knowledgeable people I that I could ask for a solution. I made a box that is shaped like a book with a lid which opens. The lid is cherry and the box is maple. She left the box in a room in our house which gets lots of sun. However, she put some round object on top of the box and after a period she moved the round object and found that the majority of the lid had been changed to a warm amber, but where the round object sat on the lid was a much lighter colored circle. I used a shellac finish and the color difference is not in the finish (didn't think I would be that lucky). Can the lid be sanded to even out the color and start over? -- Sorry, didn't have my phone with me last night to get a picture.

I'm with Ted. Sand off the finish and put it in the sun...should balance out eventually. Or maybe an opportunity for an inlaid circle of a contrasting wood? :rolleyes:

Thanks to all the responses. Jeff, she had already suggested putting some sort of circular medallion on the circle. I figured I would get some opinions first before I jumped into causing myself more work. Now if we only had some sun in northwest Missouri!

Hehe, I figured that was sunny side up compared to the grey northwest :D

You can also get the same effect with a UV light. And there's always summer if you're not in a hurry ;)