The great debate...

I've got a few chunks laying around here. Stuff is as sharp (or sharper) than a razor blade.

Turns out shaving with it isn't all its cut up to be though. Works pretty well for cutting up a deer and indeed shaving the hair off of it, but leaves murderous razor burn on the face.

Dirk brings up a good point about whether it's the product or the process though. Sometimes I'll do things the hard way just because I want to try something (and sometimes it turns out it's not the hard way after all).

Sometimes I'll do things the hard way just because I want to try something (and sometimes it turns out it's not the hard way after all).

I do too. Rather than think of as the hard way though, I just like to think of it as the "traditional" way. That is of course if there is any such thing as "traditional".

I do use hand tools and I use them often. I have a nice collection of hand saws and some 1929-1932 hand planes that I use often. I block sand a TON, by hand. I chisel and mortise by hand and I have tried my hand at hand cut dovetails.

When I walk into my shop to do something, I see my shop as my shop - not some computer robotic fake place. I am equipped with everything from hand tools to CNC.

At the end of the day - it's just Leos Workshop

There is no debate.

Darren makes a valid point on the artistic side about being able to produce an embellishment for a piece.

However...I keep finding myself perplexed by the desire for perfection and instant gratification so prevalent in our lives given all we would like to indulge in versus time and the balance of spending the time and making the effort to learn skills that involve what I will call more analog skills than logical linear skill.

Consider planning using a hand plane, it takes more than just feeding a board through a machine. Once mastered adequately it can do wonders as a skill.
The real eye opener for me has been carving.
When first starting out, I was very dubious as to whether I would get anywhere. So I picked a shell as a kick off point and I did not want to replicate the machine version of a perfect scallop shell.
I tried copying an actual shell.
Well posted here the comments proved how hooked we have become on perfection. We have forgotten to look at the real item and notice they not like we expect to see them.
Same goes for all objects of nature, consider how photo shopped our lives are to the extent that we forget what real humans look like.
So an embellishment like for example the handles Ryan hand carved on his swap tools recently is a lot easier to produce if we prepared to spend some time and try and the result is what I call "real".
I look back at my little people wood carvings and I am amazed at myself. For a person that puts them self in the same category Darren mentioned (not having an artistic bone or thought in my body) I have been blown away by what one can do with ones hands if one gives it a go.

But all that said we take on hobbies for many reasons to me the core of it is getting out of it what you want rather than feeling compelled to conform to some group stereotype.

As Leo says its his shop. As Carol said if woodworkers of centuries past could have had access to CNC I am 100% sure they would have used them. But let's remember they were by and large doing woodworking for gain so productivity would be essential. In a holbby that is not necessarily the case.
A parallel could be drawn between flying radio controlled planes versus drones. And I guess many other digital innovations.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

There are things that CNC is just not going to do. I cannot do scrollwork on my table saw either, and my jointer is horrible at drilling holes. The CNC machine is NOT going to make the handles that Ryan made.

As I walk into my shop, the CNC is the main machine, but NOT the only tool. There are so many times that I take something off the CNC machine then use a chisel and mallet, or rasp, and definitely sandpaper.

Sure, some things come off as a final finished thing.

The CNC machine is not a do all do everything machine. There is no intent to have a CNC machine in the middle of the shop with no other tools, or skills.

One example is a quarter board. I want to make some quarter boards on my machine. I will, and they will look great. Traditionally, they were hand carved. There is a workshop about 30 miles from me that makes and teaches the traditional methods, but also he disrespects the CNC method. I will make them on CNC, but I will not disrespect the hand carved method. In the hand carved there will be characteristics than I cannot duplicate. The slip of the chisel, the little oops, the correction, the slight imperfections. That all adds character. The CNC will do a perfect job every time and not have those imperfections.

So to compare the CNC to Hand carved.

Hand carved
The imperfections adds character, and value. The sell price is higher, as it should be.

CNC
No imperfections and perfect symmetry. Looks Great has value, sell cost is lower.

Some people will want the hand carved no matter what. Not a problem at all. I fully respect that.

I like knots in a piece because it is natural.

I like the hand made.

I sure do hope that we don't loose the natural. Really, I do believe we will not.

On my computer screen right now as a desktop picture I have a shot of the Mayflower II that was built in 1957. It is up on dry land in Mystic Ct. There is lumber all over the place. It is a work zone. That is what is on my mind as much as CNC.

For me - the novelty wore off about 1992, or earlier. It is just one tool of many in my shop, and not at all capable of the sort of stuff Ryan does. Neither are my hands capable of that.

The other thing about CNC vs Hobby vs Productivity. Rob, I don't necessarily agree with you there. My hobby is very CNC related. Or my CNC is very hobby related. Either way they are intertwined. What is a hobby anyway? It is something we do for enjoyment? Learning all the inner workings and in's ans out's of CNC is very intriguing. Some people draw, paint, carve, sculpt. Some people have home machine shop. Some people build cars. CNC in the middle of a home workshop is no different. Sure I make signs and the CNC is a help to do that. BUT, my shop is 25% Business and 75% hobby. Yes, they CAN intertwine.

The CNC machine is NOT going to make the handles that Ryan made.

But it could well have been part of the process... A 3 axis would have done just as good of a job of turning the blanks as I can do on the lathe by hand and perhaps a bit faster (although for something like that the performance delta is arguably marginal once you account for loading/unloading the wood from the machine and programming time since they only took maybe 15 minutes each to do the turning). I suspect that the rope twist part could have as easily been done there as well, you could even program in some small variations to give it character. The knots on the end.. I dunno... but I suspect that it would be possible with a small pointy end mill (again assuming full 3 axis, might.. require 4 in this case? you could clean up the ends by hand after anyway - the hard part would be getting the undercuts to "pop" the strands, maybe that's a hand operation post CNC as well). Programming the cut paths for the knots would certainly be interesting.

On a related note, I'm designing some tap handles for my friends brewery. I WON'T be able to do the production runs (time and capacity constraints, besides it will be better for them to go with a production house that can deliver in volume quickly on demand), so these are just test units. The lettering will most likely be laser engraved or perhaps CNC cut and then shaded on the final version, but for the mock ups I've been just cutting it out using a V chisel. I can bang out the lettering on a handle in about ~5-10 minutes~ depending on the piece of wood (its an overlapping FB with a little bit of curving which works out to 8-9 distinctive cut motions * 3-4 passes to get the depth, I'll post something eventually .. probably.. :rolleyes:). Now I'm 100% positive a CNC with a V cutter or the laser engraver would be significantly faster per unit in volume, but for ~a dozen~ I'm unconvinced. This isn't because I'm a great carver (and honestly my lettering speed/quality is mediocre at best) but even being mediocre at it it is pretty quick and easy to get a decent outcome.

So back to the tool handles, if I wanted to do 1000 or maybe even 50 of them then more automation would imho start to make sense.

This isn't to say that all one offs would be easier by hand either, things like the signs Leo does or the two layer lettering Dan's been showing us where there is a lot of layout and setup for a specific piece regardless of the method used I think that CNC makes a lot of sense. Could you do most of those by hand? Sure (maybe.. not sure on some of the sign materials, I suspect those might well be a pain to work by hand), but it certainly wouldn't be as efficient and in some cases I'm unconvinced it would be feasible (even if you're a bit crazy like some of us and enjoy doing things because they're weird and difficult).

I do think there is a risk of getting into the either-or mindset when there is a lot of opportunities for synergistic (really did I just use that - I owe the corpspeakites a smack for infecting me) usage between the various methods.

If I'm wrong on any of the above I would like to know where :D I haven't committed to the CNC bug yet.. but it is alluring... and figuring out where the capability limitations are is pretty useful.

Regarding the CNC bug: I doubt that I would get that one as I understand it begins in the far reaches of the brain and ends in the far reaches of the pocket book and so for me the connection would be lost since I do not have those far reaches in the pocket book. So we stay with the Old Craftex CT128 and see if somehow I can get something to turn out nicely on it.

Ryan, you are correct on all accounts.

The CNC has its place.

That's my whole point - its just a tool.

If I were to go out to my shop to do something, I would not immediately walk up to the CNC.
I would walk up to the tool that will best do the job.

There are lots of things I do in my shop that has nothing to do with CNC.

There are movements a hand can do that a CNC cannot do.

On the hobby side, sometimes it is just plain fun and cool to see what you can do with some creative artistic design and programming and cutting on the machine.

I mentioned quarter boards. There is a bunch of CAD and CAM work to be done there. After CNC there is finishing and painting. CNC routers don't paint very well. This will be a fun project.

I don't necessarily think in terms of which is faster or more efficient.

I own CNC router and woodworking shop for the same reason someone owns an airplane, boat, jet ski, motor home, travel trailer, hot rod, space station, rocket launcher, movie studio in the cellar, or any number of things.

I don't necessarily think in terms of which is faster or more efficient.

Faster, more efficient, more fun, worth the learning experience, allows me to do something I wouldn't otherwise get done.

Pick one, two, three, four, all of the above :D

I was using the efficiency argument as one starting point not that its the only place to start from (as noted I certainly don't always do things the most efficient way :rolleyes: but sometimes am surprised at what is or is not more efficient as a side effect of that).

That is what the hobby is about - having fun, and doing cool stuff.

Shhhh - don't tell them at work - but that's what I do all day long over there too. I just get to play with bigger and far more sophisticated machines, and I make stuff out of metal, and I spend their money.

Some people don't have the patience or temperament to work through things.

That dude just talks too damn fast for me.

Good point, Don. And since he is a consumer, I can only wonder how things will need to be marketed to HAVE a market.

Care to comment, Rob?

Well in my view it was a breath of fresh air to hear someone truly say what they think with regards to a product review and act accordingly.

We only have to look to our own forum and cnc experience here to see that if you buy a machine for $1000 expect to put in the time to make it do what it can do but be realistic about your own abilities. Consider the time Dan, Bill put into their Shapeokos but now after that consider what both have since been able to produce on the machine. Bill has done work on his that I dont believe would be possible for handtools.

I think this guy illustrates the hurdle the Inventables, Shapeoko, etc camp all have in their business model. Scale up to mass consumer acceptance requires a machine and software that is more typical of a mass consumer product. Tweaking is not mass consumer orientation even if the market is the "maker market".

Take a look by comparison at the Carbide offering. They offer a out the box working machine and then to deskill the software side which is the next hurdle they see as an issue they have created a package that appears to simplify the process. Have not seen a review on it just a video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SuOPqXMnhs

These companies can survive inmo given the reach of the internet, they typify my view that you can create a niche company today and within that niche find sufficient participants provided you go global. ( Keep in mind our global population and the fact that birds of a feather flock together ....ie Toni lives in Spain, Stu in Japan yet we all hang here).

Bill has of his own accord upgraded his machine in certain areas and that includes him committing to spending on software to get the satisfaction out of it he wants.

So i see this a bit like buying a lathe, or even a digital camera. You sell yourself the idea and spring for the price point that works for your budget not giving thought to the what else do i need. I have spent i guess at least 4 times what my lathe cost on the accessories actually 4 may be tad light. Luckily for me those are transferable to a lathe that deserves that spend. (my personal battle). Same would go for a camera. No one mentions the tripod , bag , filters, batteries, lenses, extra memory cards today, etc etc when you buying the camera. Some even use that as a sale point making a bundle deal out the extras to camo the base price and increase their margin.

I tend to like what the guy is saying. First i like that he is honest. Second if i get a cnc i want it to do what he wants it to do. I want it to work like a machine should. I dont want to spend my time to tinker with it, even though i am a tinkerer. I want to tinker on other things i have enough of them to do.
This was one of the wake up calls with buying my table saw. As a rookie woodworker one thinks you buy a tool like a saw and well it is all setup. Then you join a community and find out why you got burns on your cuts. Now you spend a ton of time (which i have) tinkering with the alignment. Not what i wanted. Then gradually you discover what you thought was a good machine was good for a specific price point. Its at that point you realize what Allen Levin once said about woodworking as a hobby. I used to discount his comment in my own head thinking of my buddy who is a golfer. But Allens words have stuck with me over the years and each time i have been to by plywood and wood in our neck of the woods and then factored in the waste Allens words of this aint a cheap hobby come back to me.

I think the issue is a very personal one. Where are you in life, how much time do you have to devote to your hobby, how much money do you wish and are you prepared to spend on your hobby, what is your goal for the hobby and so on.

My whole drama with prior NN was caused in part because one day i happen to realize if one produced things in your hobby you had to get rid of them to make space for more. Well meeting Mack Cameron made me think one had to at least consider turning over what you produced by selling some of it. You can only give away so much till all your friends have enough of what you make. And even in that department while they may ooh an ahhh your woodworking gift at Xmas it don't mean they would not prefer a gift card. (yeah i said it, that's my disappointing view of where society is at). So when i mentioned selling a few bowls to NN casually one day before even building my shop, she took it to mean cottage industry was going up in my back yard. :doh:Ya all know what followed.:(

Personally i think Leo has the best approach if i were making a call that suited me. The price of his machine is right and while his expectations of its accuracy are higher than mine, i think its built adequately enough that it will be as close to one time tweak as is practically possible for a machine. He has an outlet for his produce that allows him to carry on having the fun HE wants to have and circulate the money. As Leo himself has talked about a shop budget and shop funds this is the way to go. He has proved previously that he can make a go of this approach and his latest machine is to add capability and new learning to his fun. Whats not to like about that.

I find interest in each persons approach, heck they have helped me sort out just what it is that i really like. We need to keep in mind some of us only have a bit of time on weekends to tinker, others have 7 days a week to do this. Some have coin to spend on the hobby others have to get by with what will do or less. Some have physical disabilities (something we all heading for someday) and have to factor that into their desires. Just the other day i said to Linda how i wish i was 30 again and back in the tech world when i saw a Harvard University video on the discovery channel showing the real future of 3D printing, printing a finished working electric item. Been looking to see if i can find that video to post here no luck so far.

For me and woodworking I am a bit like Darren. Its only part of the tinkering i enjoy. Would i like a CNC, absolutely. Will it be a $1000 unit definitely not. But like everything these machines will evolve. Its a free market and there are many players with significant coin invested in making the machines.
Just consider something like the Drone business. I have watched how DJI one of the leaders in drones has evolved their product over time. The latest version released at CES in Las Vegas now has a price tag $300 less than the original and has way more features than when first launched. They dealing with the price demand curve.

I still think its absolutely amazing what Bill has managed off his machine, but i think we all can say Bill is not the average hobbiest when you look at what woodworking he has done before buying a CNC.

Something i would like to see is if Bill sent Leo the program for his box lid carvings and Leo ran that on his new machine, just how well the big machine would do it. There is a challenge. Part of me is guessing that Bills machine with a fine bit has achieved better than what Leos big machine will do but i dont know.

At a greater level the debate on the CNC issue is a moot point to me. I have never been able to understand those that only do turning and can turn baby turn 7 days a week. I dont think i have ever done the same thing in my day job from one day to the next, EVER, so no ways could i be interested in doing only one facet of what is offered by woodworking. But thats just me and my crazy mind each to his own.

I have never stopped thinking back to a time prior to my joining the forum. At that point in time i relied on the magazines and buyers guides for tool purchase decisions. I wised up pretty quickly after joining here and seeing the advise handed out by our bright group. I just cant help thinking about people that today are not part of a group like this and come across the $1000 cnc machines or even something like the baby laser engravers etc and think of starting a business with this being the core of the business. Many of these machines are sold on this basis to unsuspecting people. The reality ends up that these machines are not suitable for continuous mass production. If they were a company like where Leo works would not be spending 100's of thousands buying real machines to do what they produce. So i wonder how many have "sold" themselves the machine of whatever type on the basis of it paying its way in some or other business idea but have not tested the actual market for the business idea.
The machine is not a business going to make. In that situation it is only a tool and in that sense one can outsource the manufacturing initially to prove the business model and later if need be invest in the machine. But that is a different debate for another time.

Something i would like to see is if Bill sent Leo the program for his box lid carvings and Leo ran that on his new machine, just how well the big machine would do it. There is a challenge. Part of me is guessing that Bills machine with a fine bit has achieved better than what Leos big machine will do but i dont know.

I would be willing.

I like that sort of challange