Thread: Scrabble Letter Holders

Scrabble Letter Holders

Well, this is woodworking related, but it's by no means fine woodworking, so I figured I'd put it in this forum. Mods feel free to move it if you think it's too on-topic for the off-topic forum.

LOML has a co-worker who's a serious scrabble player, and she had apparently lost one of the little wooden letter holders that each player uses to hold their letter tiles. Somehow, LOML volunteered me to try to make a replacement for the missing holder, and brought one of the original ones home a few nights ago.

Although I couldn't copy the profile exactly, I came up with a combination of a couple bits on the router table that would come close. Since my revised profile didn't exactly match the original, I figured I should make a set of four new ones. The original was made from maple, but the scrap drawer didn't have any suitable pieces of maple, so I found four padauk cutting board offcuts that were already almost the right size. The grain in these scraps was running width-wise instead of length-wise, which showed it off better anyway. (Not great for strength, but it's not like they're holding up a truck or anything.)

About 15 minutes with the table saw and router table and a couple quick coats of wipe-on poly later, here's what I ended up with. Here's the old vs. the new:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1132b C 640.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	828

And the set of four new ones, with the original:

Name:	DSC_1133 C 640.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	829

And yet one more group shot, to try to show the grain a bit better:

Name:	DSC_1128 C 640.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	830

Sorry for the picture quality...I didn't feel like setting up the photo tent just for a few Scrabble letter holders. Although they're not fine woodworking, I was real happy with the way the padauk looked and the profile I ended up with, and the co-worker was completely floored. A few days later she gave LOML a homemade German chocolate cake to bring home for me as payment for the work. (Eating a piece of it as I type.)

How many points do I get for spectacular!!

Nice job!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The holders look good. And, I think that this thread should be moved to General Woodworking.
    Cheers, Frank

cake for scrap.......i love it! nice job vaughn.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Very nice Vaughn, 50 extra bonus points for you.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Those are cool, Vaughn.

I think the Padauk is a nice contrast with the maple letters.

Like Tod said, scrap for cake,,, BRILLIANT!!!
    George

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Looks good Vaughn not only did you get a cake but I sure you made a lot of points with LOYL..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Cake for scrap, and German Chocolate at that...I'd say you done good Vaughn!

(I just hope for your sake that LOYL doesn't bring home a request for you to make a full set of letters next! )

Oh, and I agree that this belonged in General, since it IS woodworking...scrap or not...so I've moved it...

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Steve Clardy Guest
    Hey. I'd trade wood scrap for Cake anytime

If I could just get a piece of German Chocolate cake for every piece of scrap I have lying around, I sure would get fat (er) Nice trade and nice tile racks too.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.