Making the Osprey Legs

Leo Voisine

Finally got some ability to upload Youtube.

I have something set in Firefox that is not allowing me to upload videos.

I uploaded in edge.

Here is some typical way I use my CNC machine. Truly, you cannot call this robotic.

Thats pretty interesting. Never even thought about 'not' programming a cnc.

Ditto, makes sense though. It was also interesting to see the cut paths, they were obvious on seeing, but wouldn't necessarily have been my naive first thought.

It does seem like you could get yourself into a lot of trouble in a hurry with one of these if you weren't right on top of the game.

Ditto, makes sense though. It was also interesting to see the cut paths, they were obvious on seeing, but wouldn't necessarily have been my naive first thought.

It does seem like you could get yourself into a lot of trouble in a hurry with one of these if you weren't right on top of the game.

YES you CAN. There IS a certain amount of skill involved - much like a table saw

January 16, 2016

Well, I spent the day on one leg. Actually I spent about 6 hours on ONE eagle head.

At first the machine was jerking and jumping so hard I had to stop it. When cutting 2D stuff it was not a problem, but the 3D stuff was not going to happen. PLUS - after playing with motor tuning and everything else I could find to stop the jerking - or rather not stop it, but minimize it, the cut action was so slow it was going to take 3 days per each eagle head. (I don't have an Osprey head - so we will just make believe)

So I finally found the setting, as I compared to my other CNC with mach3. BAM - instant gratification. WOW - does this machine make short work of the carving now. WOW.

At the end of the day, before bedtime, I upgraded the Osprey to Win 10. This morning, I turned on the Osprey and is ran fine. All plugins worked as they should work.

I will try to get a video going.

legs-b1.jpglegs-b2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow is for sure. Those legs are well was going to say sexy but will settle on real cool.

Leo your experience and skill show. You got that machine doing great things. I see you getting payback sooner than u ever could think.

For the layman like me, am I correct in thinking the rotary axis works to keep the surface being worked flat under the spindle at any instant that the spindle is carving, kinda rotating the work to the head rather than moving the head around.?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

There was one setting left that turned off Constant Velocity on angles. Cutting 3D stuff is TONS of angles. As soon as I disabled that and allowed CV to work - boom - it took off.

I shot several videos and they are impressive.
They need some major editing before I can post to youtube.
I hope some time this week.

Wait till you see what I do with a 1/8 end mill. I got videos, from 2 angles.

How far I can fling chunks of wood across my shop, with a 1/2 end mill, hogging out wood. - no crashes - just chips flying. Grip it and Rip it - in action.

Thanks for showing us Leo. Boy that's a great machine and you sure know how to put it through its paces. Those legs are sweet. I can see the surface shine on the eagle head the routing/engraving is so fine. Love the speed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Fascinating to watch. How much of the toolpath is determined by the software versus how much you specifically describe to the machine. In other words, do you define every single line it cuts, or do you tell the machine "cut this area to a depth of x.x inches" and let the software determine the best path?