Walnut Slab Table Top

That's turning into a mighty purty piece of wood, Leo!

You used an Offset cut. What criteria do you use to determine whether to use an Offset or Raster cut?

That's turning into a mighty purty piece of wood, Leo!

You used an Offset cut. What criteria do you use to determine whether to use an Offset or Raster cut?

I just threw it together in a couple of minutes. I was a bit excited to do some cutting and a little impatient. The next day, I actually picked up all the points around the perimeter of the shape and did an offset to do a little flattening. I flattened both sides and ran it through the sander. I then mixed some black color into clear epoxy and filled all the cracks. It is looking really good. It's a side project and I will be slowly working on it. Eventually I will do a bar top finish. This is for my den.

Really anxious to see the finished project. There is some killer curl in the crotch area. Having a CNC just opens up so many possibilities. If I only had the room and a little more money.:D

What I like about the CNC for this is that I can flatten and plane stuff that I cannot do on my conventional machines.

The table is a side - side - side project. It is going to be extremely slow going.

Yes - there is some beautiful figure in the wood.

On all of that figured/crotch wood, wouldn't a planer had a lot of tearout? I didn't notice that from the video, was there much tearout?

I had the same thought. I'm sure it would depend on the planer, but I'm pretty sure my Delta Snipemaster would have made a mess out of the slab. :D