Tool Holder - Small Squares

glenn bradley

Shuffling some items around in the never ending quest for a little more room and workability around the shop. Over time I have gathered a number of the "standard" items I use when moving, adding or changing storage solutions. I grab a piece of scrap from the current project:

Tool Holder Small Squares (1).jpg

Do a little layout and cut some diagonal slots at the bandsaw. I rig a temporary stop to keep the depths even.

Tool Holder Small Squares (2).jpg

This will be on a swinging door so I need a way to keep things in place. I drill some holes to accept some magnets.

Tool Holder Small Squares (3).jpg

Drill a couple more holes for some L hooks that I stocked up on for this sort of thing.

Tool Holder Small Squares (4).jpg . Tool Holder Small Squares (5).jpg

I'll hit it with some finish and glue the magnets in but, it will end up about like so:

Tool Holder Small Squares (6).jpg

I really like that one. I'm always searching for my squares. Now if I only had some space for a pegboard!

Cool idea thanks for posting Glenn, cant wait to get back in the shop. Please send some of your California weather our way. You can have the white stuff it contains water something i think you guys need more than us. :thumb:

Nice, I'll have to think about this idea. Although I'll want to do something slightly different as most of my squares are of different types than this.. The compactness of storage is pretty compelling though..

I was OK with a straight in "bookcase" sort of solution

Squares Rack (2).jpg

until I wanted them more compact. I came up with, and discarded a few ideas where the blade was captured (requires vertical clearance to insert and remove) and laid flat like my "precision" squares

Tool Holder (4).jpg

(too much real estate). I just kept percolating on it. The solution for your squares will come along, its just waiting for that "Eureka!" moment. Some recent gifts from Christmas forced the issue and this is what happened. As usual in my shop; it will work till something better comes along ;-)