Big dog traumatizes My Dauchshund

Bart Leetch

We were taking our afternoon walk & a big dog ran out into the road and bit a chunk out of out of my dog Mary's back . She is at the vet's right now being operated on & stitched back together. Animal control has been called. Please pray for a good outcome for both Mary & the situation with the owner of the other dog.

I am so sorry to hear what happened. Dachshund's are such cool little dogs. Animal control needs to do something serious about this. Here in Texas, and may be the same there, the owner of the big dog is totally liable for all vet bills for your dog. And, will suffer major fines as well, depending on the judge. Yeah, here they gotta go before a judge in the county courts of law. Maybe it's the same there. Hope so. I hope Mary fares well and has a speedy recovery.

Poor little pup! Here's hoping Mary recovers soon and the owner of the big dog lives up to their responsibility.

Sorry to see the news, Bart. :( I hope she heals quickly.

The CoC doesn't allow me to say how I really feel about people who don't restrain their dogs. A few years ago when I was living in an apartment and walking my dog several times a day, I ended up buying a 1,000,000 volt stun gun / flashlight after the first time she was attacked by an off-leash dog. I ended up having to use it on a Rottweiler a year or so later.

Sorry to hear this. Time for some pepper spray. Good luck with the owner of the other animal. When a similar situation happened to us, we had to go to court to have the other animal declared a dangerous dog.....and file suit in civil court to recover vet bills.

The animal control knows them as not being friendly to law men they have been in trouble
before. I was told they won't answer the door. Our county animal control is part of the sheriff's Dept. On cases like this they have a sheriff's Deputy along to help & or protect the animal control officer.

Last edited:
Hate to see that happen to the little girl. My first registered dog was a dachshund I bought for $40 when I was twelve and making thirty-five cents an hour. That was after owning a great mostly dachshund mutt. Don't know how many I have owned since then, at one time the ex had five in our house! Fine dogs and great companions.

When something like this happens nobody owns the attacking dog. Right after my first back surgery a huge german shepard attacked the wife's barrel horse two nights in a row. First night it took about ten or fifteen minutes to run it off. Second night it took about thirty seconds to introduce it to a load from a twelve gauge. A few cases in between but I never forgot my brother getting pneumonia when he was five while taking the set of twelve or fourteen rabies shots he had to take because someone hid the dog that bit him rather than it spend two weeks in confinement.

I didn't enjoy killing the german shepherd someone had dumped and left on it's own, obviously a well bred dog looking at it. Another time I killed an insane Labrador Retriever, again a dumped animal. Gorgeous head on this dog, again obviously well bred. It was going around nonstop snarling and growling and attacking everything it came across. My dogs that would stand up to almost anything were terrified of this animal. My dog that had to be dragged inside literally broke open the back door to escape this one. Before it bit a child or even killed one I killed the dog. I had three young children at the time.

I hate irresponsible pet and animal owners. Another man lets his cattle free graze in this day and time. When somebody hits one that wanders in the middle of the road late night it isn't marked and nobody owns the cow. Sometimes I wish I could shoot the owner instead of the animal that just doesn't know any better. I think I posted about this savage beast I rescued on my brother's land before:

thekiller.jpg

After a little clean-up it looked like this:

pupnballb.jpg

How hard could it have been to find a home for a pup like this?

Stupid owners that don't control or take care of their animals are a very long term rant of mine! I do hope Mary is feeling better. Tough little dogs that dachshunds are she is probably healing fine and plotting getting some of her own back!

Hu

Here is what Mary looks like after the Vet sewed her up. We have been carrying her up & down the stairs. Accept for the first evening & night being dopey from medication. The way she is around the house & in the yard you would think nothing much had happened to her. I stayed home from church today we didn't want to leave her at home with the cone of shame on & no one to observe her after having to wear it all night. The only thing we leave on either dog when we are not home is their collar.
I am looking into pepper spray & or a stun gun. It really breaks my heart I had no way to defend her.

Attachments

• m11.jpg
    m11.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 17