Cigar Box Guitar #2

Ted Calver

Staff member
Finished this one up for my youngest grandson today. 25" scale, zero fret, maple neck w/three coats of wipe on poly, Brazilian Koa fingerboard (left over from a flooring project--it has a Bellawood 100 year finish on it:)). Abalone fret markers and glow in the dark side markers. Used a little pre-amp from china with a rod piezo under the bridge and added a spring resonator. Concho sound hole covers and head-stock accent--even a little carving on the head-stock. Tail piece is a cut up cabinet door hinge.

guitar 012.jpgCigarBox 011.jpgguitar-snow 010C1.jpgguitar-snow 013.jpgguitar-snow 023.jpgguitar-snow 024.jpgguitar-snow 025.jpgguitar 002.jpgguitar 001.jpgguitar 003.jpg

Looking at it and to what you mention about inserting a pre-amp, I guess that it wouldn't be difficult to make one with a small loudspeaker inside and all the circuitry needed so that it could be played without pluging it onto an amplyfier. I mean, having a battery powered stand alone model. I don't know if that describes it correctly.

I like the details of the small sheriff badges.

Addicting little buggers aren't they :D Very nicely done Ted :thumb:

Addicting in the sense that they are kinda cool sounding and most every grand kid wants one. I have three more to do:D

Looking at it and to what you mention about inserting a pre-amp, I guess that it wouldn't be difficult to make one with a small loudspeaker inside and all the circuitry needed so that it could be played without pluging it onto an amplyfier. I mean, having a battery powered stand alone model. I don't know if that describes it correctly.
I like the details of the small sheriff badges.

Toni, I was wishing I had paid better attention to your sharpening lesson at the gathering this past summer when carving around the sheriff's badge on the head stock. My dull gouge kept tearing the wood instead of slicing. I suspect there would be too much electronic interference if we tried to insert an amplifier into the guitar body.

Addicting in the sense that they are kinda cool sounding and most every grand kid wants one. I have three more to do:D

Toni, I was wishing I had paid better attention to your sharpening lesson at the gathering this past summer when carving around the sheriff's badge on the head stock. My dull gouge kept tearing the wood instead of slicing.

And I was just going to comment on how nice that came out. I'm not going to go back and look for tearout, it looks fantastic ;)

Toni, I was wishing I had paid better attention to your sharpening lesson at the gathering this past summer when carving around the sheriff's badge on the head stock. My dull gouge kept tearing the wood instead of slicing. I suspect there would be too much electronic interference if we tried to insert an amplifier into the guitar body.

It is not that difficult Ted, just keep trying, first time I sharpened a gouge it was about almost half an inch shorter when I got a decent edge.