Do you do fractions?

I remember when I was in school the teachers said we had to learn how to do math the hard way because "You won't always have a calculator to rely on" LOL

I have several on my iPhone, all holdovers from when I was hanging pictures for a living. I've got FractionCalc, INCHcalc+, and DecAndFrac. I don't remember which one(s) I used the most.

fractions are easy. the nuns at st adalbert's had us well schooled in whole numbers in first grade, simple fractions by second grade, adding, subtracting, dividing, and multiplying by third grade, and converting to decimal by fourth grade. kids nowadays have it so easy, bringing in calculators to math class.

fractions are easy. the nuns at st adalbert's had us well schooled in whole numbers in first grade, simple fractions by second grade, adding, subtracting, dividing, and multiplying by third grade, and converting to decimal by fourth grade. kids nowadays have it so easy, bringing in calculators to math class.

Ditto on being taught actual arithmetic when I was in school. A few years back, a granddaughter was visiting and there was something said about the 24-hour clock. She was a sophomore in high school at the time and didn't know what military or 24-hour clock meant. I did a quick explanation about adding or subtracting 12 to convert between 12- and 24-hour clocks. Then, I gave her an example and asked her to tell me what time 2000 would be on a 12-hour clock. She asked for a calculator!

Amen to learning the old way from the nuns. I remember we went outside and looked up into the night sky to find the constellations, Remember that?
Well my 11 year old granddaughter was showing me an app called Star View on her phone where all she has to do is hold the phone up to the night sky and it tells you what you use to have to search for. So the world is changing like it or not, I guess as long as we have battery power we are golden, or so it seems these days.

Amen to learning the old way from the nuns. I remember we went outside and looked up into the night sky to find the constellations, Remember that?
Well my 11 year old granddaughter was showing me an app called Star View on her phone where all she has to do is hold the phone up to the night sky and it tells you what you use to have to search for. So the world is changing like it or not, I guess as long as we have battery power we are golden, or so it seems these days.

You can do it in the middle of the day too though! ;) :D

My daughter was amazed the first time she was out in the country without lights and how much different the sky looks. She could have stayed on the ground looking at the stars all night had she not fallen asleep doing it. Now she will do the same in her room with her tablet, but we get out away from the light plenty still in the warmer months.

I was taught math the old way by nuns as well, but have never been able to grasp math very well. My mom was a math teacher and struggled to try to explain/tutor algebra and calculus to me. :huh: The way math is taught today makes much more sense to me believe it or not.