My latest efforts at turning bowls...

Chuck Ellis

It's been pretty chilly in my shop this week and last weekend...so haven't worked out there much... these were started a couple of weeks back and I've worked on the sporadically since then getting the finish on them...

These two bowls are from a block of green heart poplar that I bought at my favorite wood store in Knoxville...I think this is a block I got last spring or earlier and just now got around to working with it... the bigger of these two bowls is 10 inches diameter by 4 inches high, the smaller is 8 inches diameter and 2 1/2 inches high... both are finished with sanding sealer and polyurethane.
The smaller bowl was cored out of the bigger bowl using my wood-cut corer...
10-3139_5.jpg 10-3139_1.jpg 10-3140_4.jpg10-3140_1.jpg

The other two bowls were also cored one from the other. I'm relatively certain this wood is spalted sycamore... my neighbor dropped off a front end loader of wood - some 8 pieces ranging from about 12 or 13 inches diameter to over 15 inches and all about 24 inches long... he didn't know what the wood was and said his log splitter wouldn't split them... so I got them... a chain saw opens them up nicely... at first didn't know what they were either, but after looking at another bowl I did and gave back to the neighbor, pretty sure it's sycamore.
These two bowls are 9 1/2 inches diameter x 4 inches and 7 1/2 inches x 2 1/2... again finished with sanding sealer and polyurethane.
10-3144_0.jpg 10-3144_4.jpg 10-3145_1.jpg 10-3145_3.jpg