Dedicated Hand Tool Sharpening Station, Can you share your thoughts, idea?

Nice idea on the adjustable hose setup.

Thanks, it is a bit redneck, but hey it works for now. I did not want to put any holes in my pond box, so I could not easily run a hose under the edge and up through some kind of nice looking spout, this will work for now at least, we shall see I guess.

Ryan Mooney said:
I'm not sure why? I guess if you're planning on doing stone holders it might be necessary, but a lot of the ponds I'm seeing people are just using a non slip surface of some sort (rubber, neoprene, shelf liner, ??) and that seems a lot quicker. I don't believe the width should matter to much unless I'm missing a bet?

I agree that what I want is something basic, I don't see the need either for a wedged stone bridge, you should only be pushing, not pulling, for the most part, IMHO, so a stop a a grippy mat and yeah it should do it, but there are some different widths, so maybe I want something that is not so wide? Like I said, I dunno, all new to me, I'll start with one basic set up and see if it grows. I do know that for flattening the stones I'll have a different bridge that will go on the sink, that is a very messy job and I want to keep it away from the pond.

Cheers!

Thanks, it is a bit redneck, but hey it works for now.

Redneck is my third given name (not by my parents) so it speaks to me :)

I do know that for flattening the stones I'll have a different bridge that will go on the sink, that is a very messy job and I want to keep it away from the pond.

That makes sense. I think even if the bridge is a bit to wide it shouldn't be a problem, you'll just have a little sticking out the sides so I'd probably size it for your widest stones and see how that works. If it doesn't it'll be interesting to hear about so we can learn from your efforts anyway ;)

Thanks, it is a bit redneck, but hey it works for now.

Redneck is my third given name (not by my parents) so it speaks to me :)

I do know that for flattening the stones I'll have a different bridge that will go on the sink, that is a very messy job and I want to keep it away from the pond.

That makes sense. I think even if the bridge is a bit to wide it shouldn't be a problem, you'll just have a little sticking out the sides so I'd probably size it for your widest stones and see how that works. If it doesn't it'll be interesting to hear about so we can learn from your efforts anyway ;)

Took WAY too long to get these in....

IMG_0556.JPG

Now just the fronts to do and the bridge.

Ok almost done....

IMG_0557.JPG

The drawer fronts and the bridge yet to go, I would have got them done last night but buddy showed up with his friend from out of town and the two of them insisted on seeing what the bottom of my bottle of good 18 year old single malt looked like :rolleyes: :D

I'm out of single malt, so I hope I can get this done tonight.

Cheers!

OK the bridge is done...

IMG_0561.JPG

About 4" wide and almost 3/4" thick piece of Beech with a single stop.

IMG_0562.JPG

The underside has a rib of Beech that has a 5 degree cut on both ends, it sort of fits snug into the top of the pond, nice and stable.

I sprayed it about 4 times top and bottom with some clear lacquer.

IMG_0564.JPG

This is the regular sized stone, that is a DMT diamond plate no slip pad under the stone, seem to very solid, not moving around at all.

IMG_0563.JPG

This is my monster King #250 stone, for taking nicks out of blades, but it too fits the bridge.

IMG_0565.JPG

To the right on the sink you can see the King Lapping plate that I have for the lower grit stones, (under #500) and on the edge of the pond is the Shapton Diamond Glass lapping plate that sits nicely on top of the larger lapping plate, just turn the spigot on the water tank a little and I have a nice flow of water over either lapping plate.

The one thing I need to add is a towel holder as you are always looking for a towel to wipe your hands.

Now for a test drive.

Cheers!

The test drive went well, I can see myself REALLY liking this set up, simple to use and quick.

IMG_0566.JPG

No I don't use all of those stones, but I had a favorite stone break a while ago, a #6000, and I've not replaced it, so I have gone back to some of my old Shapton stones, which I really don't like.

Usually if the edge is not nicked I go #1200 #6000 #13000 and I'm good to go, but now I've been doing #1200 #4000 #8000 and then the #13000. The #4000 and the #8000 are the Shapton stones, they load up quickly and are rather hard, the blade does not bite on them as well as the Sigma Power 'Select II' #6000 stone, need to get a new one I guess.

The water in the pond sure got dirty fast, LOL, I guess that is what it's there for.

Cheers!

You have given me a lot to think about. I will want to pursue some way of keeping the water warm, possible an immersion heater? Do you see the temp of the water as a problem? If so, how do you plan to deal with it?

I see where you flatten your stones off to the side. I am sure that cuts down in the amount of debris in the pond. I will be wanting to use the same pond to flatten my stones and I know from experience that most of the silt comes from the flattening process. I guess I am leaning toward more of sink arrangement with a bottom drain to clean out and refresh the pond.

It will be a while before I start to build whatever I decide, so I will be interested to hear what you would change, if anything, as time goes by.

Thanks for the inspiration.

One last thing, I have always been considering adding a paper towel roll dispenser over my sharpening station. Something like this.

transparent-roll-paper-towel-dispenser.jpg

Looks like it works well! A small shelf to store the stones on would be nice ;)

Interesting that just the lacquer coat was sufficient for a non slip surface. I'm pretty sure I'd have over engineered that part up front for no value and the flat/smooth surface will be ton's easier to clean.

Will be interested to see how easy the pond is to clean, my first thought was that the crud will cake up on the bottom and be annoying to scrape out, but my second thought is that there really isn't that much crud at the usage rate even you do so it shouldn't be a real issue.

I'm a huge fan of the Sigma II's, especially the 13k which removes metal much faster than seems possible for how fine of a finish it leaves (not dissing the lower grits, just that the 13k astounds me). I don't like them as much for smaller carving tools because they're so soft though, but for bench chisels and planes zoom zoom! The whole water thing leaves me not using them as much as I might otherwise and I'm not sure I want to invest in something like this given that its sometimes several weeks between significant shop time... It does make me think about a more portable fill and dump solution though..

You have given me a lot to think about. I will want to pursue some way of keeping the water warm, possible an immersion heater? Do you see the temp of the water as a problem? If so, how do you plan to deal with it?

Yeah, thinking of a heater, I know the knife shop I went to before had such a thing, I don't think I need it, the water is maybe a bit below the room temp, but the coldest I ever see here in the Dungeon is around 60F, usually more like 68F.

Bill Satko said:
I see where you flatten your stones off to the side. I am sure that cuts down in the amount of debris in the pond. I will be wanting to use the same pond to flatten my stones and I know from experience that most of the silt comes from the flattening process. I guess I am leaning toward more of sink arrangement with a bottom drain to clean out and refresh the pond.

If I had running water, I'd certainly have a simple drain, you cold fill the pond quickly and then drain it washing up, keeping things clean, but I don't have running water, I have carrying water :doh:
I'm not worried about the build up of debris in the pond, I was planning on building a grate that goes into the pond to keep the stones, but honestly the pond get murky so fast I would lose the stones in the pond! maybe I'll lower the water level a bit, don't know yet.

Bill Satko said:
It will be a while before I start to build whatever I decide, so I will be interested to hear what you would change, if anything, as time goes by.

So far so good, I see that I need more coats of lacquer on the bridge, I'll have to let it dry out and then sand it again and apply a few more coats.

Bill Satko said:
Thanks for the inspiration.

One last thing, I have always been considering adding a paper towel roll dispenser over my sharpening station. Something like this.

transparent-roll-paper-towel-dispenser.jpg

Yep I have a simple rod with a roll of shop towels on it just to the right above my head.

Cheers!

Looks like it works well! A small shelf to store the stones on would be nice ;)
yeah, not sure about that, I like having the stones right on the side of the pond now, as they shed water it goes back into the pond, a shelf will be coming, or a shallow cabinet, can't let all that wall space go to waste!!

Ryan Mooney said:
Interesting that just the lacquer coat was sufficient for a non slip surface. I'm pretty sure I'd have over engineered that part up front for no value and the flat/smooth surface will be ton's easier to clean.
It is not just lacquer (which needs a few more coats it seems) I have a DMT Non-Skid Pad between the bridge and the stones, it works great, and the water keeps it in place too.
dmt_Mata.JPG

Ryan Mooney said:
Will be interested to see how easy the pond is to clean, my first thought was that the crud will cake up on the bottom and be annoying to scrape out, but my second thought is that there really isn't that much crud at the usage rate even you do so it shouldn't be a real issue.
I don't think it will be that big a deal, and if I don't get all the crud out when I clean it, who cares, new crud will soon get added to the pond.

Ryan Mooney said:
I'm a huge fan of the Sigma II's, especially the 13k which removes metal much faster than seems possible for how fine of a finish it leaves (not dissing the lower grits, just that the 13k astounds me). I don't like them as much for smaller carving tools because they're so soft though, but for bench chisels and planes zoom zoom! The whole water thing leaves me not using them as much as I might otherwise and I'm not sure I want to invest in something like this given that its sometimes several weeks between significant shop time... It does make me think about a more portable fill and dump solution though..

Yes sir, that is my favorite stone, I have a Shapton Pro 12,000 and it does no where near as good a job. In fact I want to buy another Sigma Power Select II #13,000 stone and just put it away on a shelf somewhere :)

Cheers!

yeah, not sure about that, I like having the stones right on the side of the pond now, as they shed water it goes back into the pond, a shelf will be coming, or a shallow cabinet, can't let all that wall space go to waste!!

I was thinking a wire rack shelf which would hold them securely and still drain nicely. Mostly because I'm occasionallya clutz and seeing those stones standing on end makes me think I'd be apt to knock them over .. heh. Other people may not be as error prone :rolleyes:

It is not just lacquer (which needs a few more coats it seems) I have a DMT Non-Skid Pad between the bridge and the stones, it works great, and the water keeps it in place too.

Ah, good to know. I was thinking the blue was a strip of differently colored lacquer. A no-slip pad makes a lot more sense thanks for clarifying.

Yes sir, that is my favorite stone, I have a Shapton Pro 12,000 and it does no where near as good a job. In fact I want to buy another Sigma Power Select II #13,000 stone and just put it away on a shelf somewhere :)

Hehe, that's far from the worst idea I've ever heard. Things like this have an annoying tendency to be no longer available right when you actually need to replace them for whatever reason.

I presume you dont plan on leaving the stones standing up there when not in use? Just thinking of your quakes and shakes and those stones tumbling and hitting each other on the way into the pond chips will fly then.

Nice job now the stones will really get good use. Happy sharpening. There is nothing like a sharp tool.:thumb:

I presume you dont plan on leaving the stones standing up there when not in use? Just thinking of your quakes and shakes and those stones tumbling and hitting each other on the way into the pond chips will fly then.

Nice job now the stones will really get good use. Happy sharpening. There is nothing like a sharp tool.:thumb:
For now they are standing there, I'm not worried about earthquakes. When we had the big one in March 2011, almost nothing fell over or off a shelf in my workshop, the 6th and 7th floors of our building, where we live, well they looked like an explosion had happened, but not the Dungeon.

Cheers!

The last piece of the puzzle....

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

I replaced the old foam flooring with new stuff, yes it's brown, not dark grey, and, of course, the connecting edge patterns did not match up, thus the straight cuts and duc tape.

Much nicer.

Cheers!

So after some use I've made a couple of minor changes.

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

Two sizes of wedges as my stones are various sizes.

The mat was not keeping the stone stable enough, when I do the figure eight hand sharpening the stone would move too much. I used the counter top material to make this, as it is waterproof.

I've also found that for me the pump is a waste of time, on some stones I like to have a slurry build up, and if I need water I just dip my hand into the pond and I have water. I'm glad I did not make a big deal about the pump and spout.

Cheers!