Twin dressers project progress

Dewayne Baker

Dresser project progress

This is model of 2 dresser’s I am building that I drew in sketchup. I am a bit of a beginner in sketchup and the model is not 100% accurate in relation to my final plan drawings.

Dresser%20drawing%20revised_zpsz8fuaxar.jpg

My first step in the project was to veneer 3/8” MDF panels for the side frame and panel assemblies. Curley maple veneer and ¾” cherry. Side frames are tongue and groove joinery done at the router table. The assembly is made a little over size in length so the ends can be trimmed to final size after glue up.

2ADF1EFF-BDCA-4999-AC05-493B000C52C9_zpsjbmkjtcn.jpg

The next step was to build the dust frames which are ¾” maple ply frame and panel with a ¼” panel, Dust frames are joined to the side panels with dadoes.

5878206A-AE53-45A2-A92B-D6C21CDA2729_zpsntuicwwd.jpg

Next step is to build the face and back frames. The back frames are a frame and panel assembly as well. I use the cutoffs from the curved styles to aid in clamping.

DSCF3939_zpsdpvmbsuz.jpg

The face frame joinery is pocket screws and glue. My plan calls for inset drawer fronts. I am dialing in the fit of the drawer fronts before I attach the face frame. I use 1/8” shims to gauge the gaps between the pieces. I carefully sneak up on the final dimensions of the drawer fronts with the joijnter to get the fit just perfect.

B5DC204A-9F17-4A50-9DCF-0CD8D43AF2E8_zps78xdeiid.jpg

3B69F4C2-8F37-4FB5-B387-B0EC8957914E_zpsutq3yk5z.jpg

That’s it for now. More progress when I make some.

This is gonna be great. Thanks for taking us along. As to the use of SketchUp. Even my highly detailed drawings get varied from during the build. I consider them a guide and a complex joinery "what-if" or assembly sequence engine mostly. Side note . . . love the Pro Plan router table dust bucket ;-)