Now that is some money, at least to me

Ken Garlock

Yesterday afternoon I was at Autohaus Mercedes Benz to get my car radio installed after having it repaired. The front speakers were not working, and they had to send it out for repair. My car is a 13 year old M/B C280; the M/B for people on welfare.:rolleyes:

As I was waiting for my car to come back from the install and wash, there was a classy looking lady in her upper 60s or low 70s sitting on the bench waiting for her car. She looked like she had just been the beauty solon and not a hair was out of place. Her black suit was spotless, and she just looked like money.

Her friend had bought her to pick up her car. The friend was driving a M/B S65. That little gem is an AMG work-over of a V12 engine and turbo charger. Looking on the M/B site, it turns out a cool 604 Hp, and lists for $182,000. You should hear the nice rumble from the dual pipes when she started it….

That wasn’t the best part, back to the lady in black. When her car showed up, it didn’t have the M/B star on the trunk, but rather some triangle insignia. I thought about it and guessed that it was a Maybach, the M/B brand to compete with the Bentley and Rolls. My service adviser, Barbra, knew the two ladies, so after they had departed, I asked Barbra was that a Maybach I saw? She grinned and said yes, and that the lady and husband owned TWO of them. They list at $350,000 each! Talk about conspicuous consumption. So the Maybach and the S65 added up to $537,000 plus TTL. Those two cars cost more than my house and land.

Now that is as close as I will ever come to the big dollars, about 8 ft away. :D

Wish I had that kind of money. I'd be spending it on other things, but I wish I had that much to play with.

I was reading an article about a local guy recently and the 20,000 sf home he was building in Palm Desert (and upsetting the neighbors). The article mentioned that he no longer had his boat. It was a 203 ft motor yacht, and since he also liked to have other ocean toys to play with, he travelled in the yacht followed by a tender that carried two speedboats, several Jet Skis, scuba gear, and a helicopter. I wonder if he had an inner tube or inflatable dolphin to tow behind the chopper. :rofl:

Wish I had that kind of money. I'd be spending it on other things, but I wish I had that much to play with.

I was reading an article about a local guy recently and the 20,000 sf home he was building in Palm Desert (and upsetting the neighbors). The article mentioned that he no longer had his boat. It was a 203 ft motor yacht, and since he also liked to have other ocean toys to play with, he travelled in the yacht followed by a tender that carried two speedboats, several Jet Skis, scuba gear, and a helicopter. I wonder if he had an inner tube or inflatable dolphin to tow behind the chopper. :rofl:

I can't even begin to guess how much the operating costs on a yacht would be. Even just setting in the dock doing nothing with it would cost a load. Boy am I glad I don't have those problems. Yea, sure....

A story I heard was that someone asked J P Getty how much a yacht like his cost. His response was 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it.' Wouldn't it be nice to not have to ask how much an item was?

I hear you Ken.

I sell liquor for a living, and as you know, there are some rich people in Tokyo, I see $200,000 cars several times a day, you name it, we see it around here.

I have wine that sell for $5000 a bottle, last one I sold, this guy came in, money for sure, he drove up in a very nice car (well, his assistant drove) he got out, and the assistant held his briefcase, and he started to ask me about certain wines, he bought a few bottles, then some more, we talked a bit more and by the time he had left, he had dropped about $4,000, he paid with a CC and seemed happy and said bye. We packed the wine up in a box, and put it in his trunk.

Later my wife was looking at the credit card receipt and she found out the guy is some huge big wig for some large company (I forget, Mitsubishi or something) but this guy's family are super rich. He spent that money like you and I would decide on having our apple pie plain or "a la mode".

To some, the amount of money they have is so staggering, that $500,000 for a car, is no big deal, but in the end, they turn into worm food like all of us :D

Nice to watch, but yeah, for me, I'd sure spend money like that on other things.

Cheers!

Yes Stuart, there are some very wealthy people around the world. In Europe there seems to a a goodly number, I often wonder where they got it.

I don't envy rich, I assume they got it honestly. I wouldn't know how to act around people with 8 digit bank accounts. I would be the 21 century version of Jethro from the Beverly Hill Billies. :)

On the other hand, It sure would be nice to buzz around town in an S65.:eek: