15 1/4" Rustic Pecan Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I finished this bowl yesterday as a special order for a new customer. She wanted a pecan bowl for a table centerpiece that had a rustic look to it and it needed to be 15" in diameter. So, she's getting one that is 15 1/4" instead. It had some minor cracking that filled with shellac so you could see the cracks but not feel them. After all was said and done with it, I sealed the wood with walnut oil and then finished it with a mixture of walnut oil and shellac. I mixed the walnut oil and shellac heavy on the shellac for this one to make sure you could just see the cracks. There were some cracks on the lip rim that I filled with superglue and pecan shavings and dust. It has a height of 4" and a depth of 3". Hope you like it.

Last edited:
Beautiful piece of work, Dave. I like it. Love the color in your wood. How long has the logs been sitting to take on that grey color?

Sometimes I wish I could do slightly larger bowl. My lathe is a 14" capacity, so largest I can do over the ways is about 13 3/4, most are in the 11-12 inch range. I can shift my head stock outboard, but the tool rest system is a little too funky for me to be comfortable doing larger bowl.

And most of my bowls could be described as "rustic"... matter of fact I describe a lot of them on my ETSY site as being "rustic". I've never worried much about the minor cracks you get in wood sometimes... just fill them with CA or CA&dust... doesn't seem to affect sales too much.

Hi Chuck! This tree came from a friend's place. It was right on the edge of a stock tank. I have no idea if that has anything to do with the grey. I brought that tree up here last summer. I've got the logs sitting on landscape timbers to keep them directly off the ground to avoid rot if at all possible. I had some pecan with grey in it about 4 years ago. Don't remember the circumstances on it, though. My lathe only has a 16" swing, but it will do outboard and my tool rest extension is not absolutely great but okay. Could be better but I work with it. But I still limit myself to around 17-18" in diameter but not real deep if they are to be that large. Just too much weight for me to be comfortable with. The lathe will handle it, but I am not so sure about me. Yeah, some dust and superglue works well. Never had a complaint.