joans new baby drill press

jim capozzi

hi all

just a small gloat for joan .....i found her a baby craftsman 8" drill press to drill out her pen blanks and other stuff. the table was rusted pretty bad and the colum a little . but a little oxisolve and a little elbow grease and i think its gonna be a keeper :thumb: oh yeah heres the best part ... 25 bucks :D :rofl: :thumb:

gee you think i shoulda told her first ????:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Attachments

• drill press 1.jpg
    drill press 1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 66
  • drill press 2.jpg
    drill press 2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 63
I'll be watching to see how you drill pen blanks on this drill press. I am sure you know a better way to do it than I did. I used to have the small Sears drill-press that was also a spindle sander. I couldn't figure out how to have enough quill travel to do the job.

I'll be watching to see how you drill pen blanks on this drill press. I am sure you know a better way to do it than I did. I used to have the small Sears drill-press that was also a spindle sander. I couldn't figure out how to have enough quill travel to do the job.

Yep, I had a Chiwanese one with the same problem, that is one of the main reasons I got Kermit, the quil travel on the toy DP was not enough.

Still, for $25, not bad at all! :wave:

My drill press doen't have enough quill travel for most pen blanks, but I simply drill partway, stop the drill press, raise the bit up a ways, put a piece of 1/2" plywood under the vise, and finish the hole. I'd rather have a longer travel, but I make do OK with mine (cheapie Delta Shopmaster).

I purchased the 4 jaw machine lathe style little chuck for my lathe from Grizzly & bore them at the lathe it real nice to do the work all a the lathe. I used to draw the cross on the ends of the blank to line the brad point drill up with but even quit doing that because even if its off a little it isn't enough to worry about.

First I'm sending a great big thanks to my buddy grizzz for watching out for me and finding a great deal. :D He'll have to teach me how to use it and it will be a learning curve for both of us to do pen blanks, but I'm sure I'll use the drill press for other things along the way. Thanks also to everyone for your input. It's good to know what works and what doesn't and how people end up adapting to make things work. Vaughn that was a good tip on how you adapted :thumb: When you hear how everyone does things it helps, plus gives you other ideas too. :huh: I'm one more step to getting started... :)