Got a deal on a Bosch drill

Mark E Smith

OK so a while ago my last good 18v battery for my ten year old Black & Decker cordless drill started to fade, the drill is ten, the battery was only two and the old ni-cad type. So I started checking for replacements wanted to buy two...geez..was gonna be over $80 bucks. Last few years I have been buying Bosch stuff and have been really happy with them, got the router, ros sander, job site stereo...so I figured let check out thier drills, found on Amazon the DDS182-02 came with two lit-ion bats charger and soft case, bit holder, belt holder all for $102 bucks. Not to mention my old B&D was 3/8 chuck, this one is 1/2 inch, and the Bosch is brushless motor. So for 20 bucks more now I can get new tech, better batteries, I older it right away. Got it the other day and I gotta say I had no idea what I was missing, as usual Bosch put out a great tool, love this thing, it has four times the power of my old B&D, at half the size and weight, way more clutch adjustments and the newer longer lasting batteries, can even charge them on my job site radio or allow my job site radio to go cordless (had the radio for couple years now, no batteries...lol) If you need a new drill this is the one, cordless drill is probably my most used tool, hate to retire my old friend B&D, especially since it still works great after all these years, but glad I did...this Bosch is Boss...lol

note...keep an eye on Amazon the price keeps fluctuating up to $105 now from seller Tools Corner (same folks I got it from), I have gotten stuff them before, never had a bad experience...Lowes wanted $199...which why I don't buy tools from them.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DDS182-...UTF8&qid=1456587605&sr=1-1&keywords=DDS182-02

Last edited:
That is a heck of a deal. I wonder if the seller is out of Canada, which would explain the price fluctuation. I have yet to know anyone that has the brushless drills/drivers, will be interested in hearing your review. Ads mostly say 2x life on brushes, which normally aren't my issue, it's the batteries that go bad. ;)

Don't think its Canadian, it probably has more to do with having been superseded by a newer model.

Check out Bosch CPO tools there are some amazing Bosch tool deals there and if you go reconned then even better.

Still good buy on the drill Mark. Enjoy new tech.
Like you I am struggling with letting go of my Panasonic 15.6v needs new batteries but just not worth it. Was a great drill.

What I think I will end up doing is making it corded again. Take an old PC power supply and add some nice flex cord and wire inside of drill battery compartment contacts direct to PSU power supply. Will have to look at tweaking the PSU output to get the 15.6v but my guess is it will work at a wide range of voltage. Be good for a bench drill.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That is a heck of a deal. I wonder if the seller is out of Canada, which would explain the price fluctuation. I have yet to know anyone that has the brushless drills/drivers, will be interested in hearing your review. Ads mostly say 2x life on brushes, which normally aren't my issue, it's the batteries that go bad. ;)

Yep this is my first brushless motor drill too, will be interested to see, that old B&D is still working after ten years, used it all the time, but the batteries that was the sticky point. Even with a super charger still took over fours to charge them old ni-cad bats. Just for fun when I got the Bosch I put one bat in my job site radio to charge and the other one in the charger that came with it. Seems to be a quality charger, not like the usual cheap chargers you get with tools...took just over an hour to charge up, job site radio took an hour and a half. Could be one bat had a small charge on it from the factory, didn't check, but still hour and half I can live with...real test with be how many years will the bats last, that was B&D downfall, the drill it self was great. The Bosch says it has 442 in. lbs. of torque, I believe my old B&D only had maybe 105 in. lbs. so Bosch is easily has four times the power.

Congrats on the new drill, Mark. :thumb:

When I went from a Black & Decker jigsaw to a Bosch model, it was like switching from a Chevy Cavalier in need of a front end alignment to a brand-new Lexus. ;) I suspect the drill will be a similar experience.

I hade to same problem with my 14 V Porter Cable drill and flashlight. Cheaper to buy a new drill that to buy batteries for the old. I also went to Bosch.