Free H/F Flashlight

Charles Hans

Well, I am not a turner, nor do I claim to be, but I have had a walnut log laying in there shop for a couple of years that wanted to be something.
So the first part of this week I thought it was time to give it a go.
Here is what I did with it. There is one of the free flashlights in there, and it works pretty slick. I know me grandson will claim it as soon as he sees it. There are a couple of things I would change if I was to do it again, but it was fun and kept me busy for a few days.
Comments and critisism welcome.

P1050004.jpgP1050005.jpgP1050006.jpgP1050008.jpg

Great quick project Hans, If you are going to repeat it I would make the wheeled base bigger as it seems out of proportion, and not on the right place. The pins that hold the barrel should be closer to the back end as well.
You can take this image as a reference.canon.jpg. there are many others on the web as well.
Regards

Bob, be careful when you glue the flashlight in and don't get glue on the threads where you can't get it apart:D. And like Toni mentioned, set the barrel mounts further back on the barrel which I discovered when it was too late of course.

Last edited:
Ah I see.. so the flashlight is glued in.

I was thinking if you drilled the barrel to flashlight width for the depth of the flashlight and then smaller on the outlet end and had the back just press (or maybe screw on) it would trap the flashlight in place and you could pull it apart and replace the flashlight or at least the batteries easier (might want a little foam or tape to keep it from rattling).

Ryan I drilled the blank out to 1" and the flashlight was a good fit, I spread a very thin coat of epoxy in the hole and slid the light in until the back end where it comes apart was even with the blank end, leaving the pushbutton part sticking out enough to fit into the back part of the blank. Then glued the button part into the back end, matching the grain as much as possible. Clear as mud I am sure !

Last edited: