Cyclone Clog...?

Stuart Ablett

I've never had this happen to me, yes I've overfilled my cyclone a few times :doh::( but this time the bin was almost empty and the body of the cyclone was FULL,and I mean FULL... ? :huh:

Do I have a leak somewhere?

Is that what causes this?

Very strange, now I'm going over every inch of the unit looking for a leak...

Any suggestions as to why this would happen would be helpful.

Thanks!

The only 2 reasons I've can think of (and you ruled one out) is that 1) the bin is full and the debris has to go somewhere, or 2) there is a leak in the bin....but it sounds like it would be a big one in your case. You might check your filter as well to make sure it isn't clogged. It will be interesting to hear what you find.

The only 2 reasons I've can think of (and you ruled one out) is that 1) the bin is full and the debris has to go somewhere, or 2) there is a leak in the bin....but it sounds like it would be a big one in your case. You might check your filter as well to make sure it isn't clogged. It will be interesting to hear what you find.

I'm quite sure that the weather strip I used for the bin to lid seal was bad, it was rock hard, and the makeshift flexible coupling between the lid and the bottom of the cyclone looks to have also been leaking. I'm trying to find a flexible coupling for the bin lid to bottom of the cyclone connection, but I'm not having any success here in Japan, hard to find out even what it is called.

A coupling here is the thing you put between an electric motor shaft and something it is driving, I know it is that in English too, but the flexible plumbing coupling I want is not called a coupling, dunno what is it called.

I bet I'll just order one from the US and pay the shipping. In the mean time I'm kind of fixing what I have until I can get the new coupling.

Cheers!

Duct tape makes the world go around..

Isn't it just a piece of flex pipe? Not sure what your cyclone setup looks like...

I could not find a flexible pipe the size I needed, 7-1/2" or 285mm.

lid_after_cut_down.jpg

Here you can see the flex hose I made, I bought some of that hose for a water pump, you know, the kind that lies flat when not full of water. I cut it in half, split it wide open I guess.
I then wrapped it around the two parts, taped it up, inside and out with the aluminum tape and duct tape, the overlap area is glued with contact cement. Next I used a big hose clamp to secure the bottom to the lid, and I just taped it to the cyclone, in this picture but eventually I added a hose clamp to the top as well.

lid_just_about_done.jpg

Now I've taken that all apart and I've taped it again, as well as caulking it with silicone.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

Now I need to mount it on the cyclone.

Then put new weather strip on the lid/bin flange.

I hope it is then good to go, wasted most of a day on this.

IMG_0718.JPG

There done, I hope it lasts another 1 years....

But I'm still on the hunt for the right flexible coupling.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yeah finding it "local" (or close to local) might be interesting.

I suspect that the rubber fittings like this one:
https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-drawings/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings-1001/1001-66
are going to be to stiff there.

It appears some people sell flex hose in that size, but again locally? that's a harder problem.
http://www.flexi-hoses.com/p/3160/hose-pur-light-ag-dn-285-mm

Yeah that 7.5" to 7.5" is exactly what I need, and I cannot find it here, yet, but I'll look, and if I can't, I'll buy one from the US.

Cheers!

$60 looks cheap compared to any postal rate I could find; was thinking I could buy one and mail it....it would cost well over what the 'zon wants. Looks like what you did will last a while.

Yeah that 7.5" to 7.5" is exactly what I need, and I cannot find it here, yet, but I'll look, and if I can't, I'll buy one from the US.

Cheers!

Be aware that thje fernco ones are pretty stiff, I think its 3/8" or maybe even a little thicker rubber so if you need to to collapse up any I don't think it'll do that much. It will wiggle side to side some. Not sure how much give you need on this section.

Be aware that thje fernco ones are pretty stiff, I think its 3/8" or maybe even a little thicker rubber so if you need to to collapse up any I don't think it'll do that much. It will wiggle side to side some. Not sure how much give you need on this section.

Yeah j understand that, I'd love to find something a bit thinner. I have the lid to bin clearance set up with about 1/4" of space between. Indio the bolts and the bin slides out fairly well, so I don't need a lot of flex.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 6 inch flex between my cyclone and bin. It is a ClearVue which is supposedly the standard Pentz design, and it works well.

If you decide to import some 6 inch flex, I have a bunch (only sold in 10 foot lengths, and I didn't need anywhere near that much), so shipping would be the only issue (or waiting for our next trip to Tokyo).

Can you find an inner tube that size. Thats what I did for mine as the flex I was using kept getting small holes in it.