cant emphasize enough, the right castors are just as important as any other tool

allen levine

Ive been building cabinets/racks/storage for my tools and things for 8 years.
I usually get decent castors as it makes life easy.
For some reason, it took me over 5 years to realize if I didn't figure out a way to move my 22/44 drum sander in and out of shed easy enough, I may never use the thing again, which I haven't recently.
A few weeks ago, I finally decided, 320 lbs rated pneumatic castors were not doing the job because I constantly had to inflate them, for some reason they would deflate(well, not no reason, couldn't handle the weight.)I figured 4 of them should suffice, but as usual I was wrong. so the drum sander sat in back of the shed.
I purchased the highest rated blue castors at HF, yes, HF(I don't purchase much from them ever), 600 lbs each. wow.
Now I can move it in and out of the shed myself, it rolls so easy it even rolls over the grass easy enough.
I can get it in and out in under 5 minutes.
good news is Im using it again.
Been doing a run of boards between projects, and its very, very useful.

Don't ever skimp on the castors, EVER. Properly weighted decent castors will make your life so much better. Just some advice for the new people starting in with mobile cabinets.
spend the dough, get the best. always.

(some of these boards might be from a month or two ago)

Attachments

• therightcastors 002.jpg
    therightcastors 002.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 45
  • therightcastors 003.jpg
    therightcastors 003.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 45
  • therightcastors 005.jpg
    therightcastors 005.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 46
Can only agree. I put crap on my lumber cart then could not move it. And ultimately had to throw it over and spill the contents to get under it and remove the flattened casters. Then I got serious and ordered some steel backed poly with bearings in axles and 8" diameter. Now she moves. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Just gave me an idea! I have several re-purposed multi shelf greenhouse carts for work/space savers in the barn (storing raw fleece) and there's always a flat tire. Here I go to Princess Auto.
Thanks Allen:thumb:
Great cutting boards, sort of an optical illusion of three dimensions.

Last edited:
thanx, I really went through the old lumber and pulled out the knotted up hickory, some old birch, beech, using it all, cleaning up the rack.
Ill be taking as many as I can fit in the suitcases down to florida in a few months to hand out to my siblings, and nieces.

Great advice.

I will be putting casters under my CNC machine someday.

I am thinking in the neighborhood of $50+ each.

The machine is 1500 pounds.

I can't cheap out.

I think I spent just under $50 each for the Zambus Carrymaster AC-300 casters I put under my lathe. They're rated at 375 pounds each and have handled my 600 pound lathe nicely. For your CNC machine I think you'd be looking at the AC-600 casters, rated at 750 pounds each. But I agree with you...cheaping out on casters is seldom worth it.

One thing about wheels. If they stay in one place for long they can develop flats. Good practice is to be able to take the load off the wheels if at all possible.

Agreed. My CNC has 300 pound wheels under it, but it doesn't weight nearly as much as Leo's. I also added these:

adjustable leveler.jpg

After I move the machine, I'll just run them down with my cordless driver until the machine is level and call it done. Weight will be mostly off the wheels.

I was thinking of some sort of support system besides just the wheels. I like the suggestions from Carol and Darren. I just need to find some money. For now, the legs I made are working fine.

Could also consider regular casters, then maybe the little short jacks (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-TON-HYDR...DY-WELDING-PORTA-POWER-JACK-NEW-/281601617514) used for a porta power unit, the jacks themselves aren't all that expensive wouldn't be as neatly packaged, but would be a good way to get it off the casters.