One My Friend Did

Paul Douglass

This is a vase a friend of mine made. He entered it in a local wood show and won the "People Choice" award. I got acquainted with him through our wives that met at a quilting class. They got to talking, and found out that he had made a Busker organ, this was back when I was building mine. He is quite a wood worker, and does most his work on a Shop Smith. When he retired a couple years ago his first upgrade was to buy a Powermatic lathe. Prior to that he just had a little Jet. I got to help him unpack and set up the lathe. Anyway, last year he got into segmenting turning. This was his first entry in a show. He entered the vase. He also made a bowl to go with it.

Attachments

• sailboats-Ron Smith.jpg
    sailboats-Ron Smith.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 46
  • sailboats-006 Ron Smith.jpg
    sailboats-006 Ron Smith.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Very nice work. :thumb: A lot of segmented turners concentrate primarily on the segmenting, and forget to pay proper attention to the form of the piece. Your friend Ron seems to have a good eye for form to go along with his segmenting skills. :clap:

Attractive bowls Paul. I have a particular soft spot for the theme and wood types on those bowls. I think I like segmented turning a lot.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk