Refinishing a Stickley Coffee Table

Laura Simon

Hello everyone,

So I have this really nice (or used to be nice) Stickley coffee table that used to be my mom's. When I was much younger I ruined it with ink and water (the things children do...) and it is badly stained. My mom never lets me live it down so I want to fix it for her as a present. There are a few imperfections in addition from moving it in and out of houses. How much does everyone think it will cost to be refinished and where can I get it done? I can always post pictures if it would help.

Help is greatly appreciated!

It would help to know where you are. Our own Dave Hawksford is one very talented refinisher and if your piece can be "de-inked," he is the man.

Welcome to the family, Laura. Glad you found us. As Carol noted, Mr Dave Hawksford is a professional at this kind of stuff and hopefully he will chime in. It would help if you posted a couple of pictures and updated your profile with your location.

Thank you all for responding! Guess I'll have to check out this Dave guy. Where is he located? I currently have the table in Albany, NY. It has definitely been abused over the years. There are a few knicks and water rings and the ink stain has been there for at least 10 years... Here are some pictures:
4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Dave is inside the Washington beltway. Maybe a road trip in your future! At least it is not across country. :eek: Might try a PM via this site to him.

BTW, I didn't see an ink stain. Did see some dents though. Also, FWIF, think of the value of the heirloom, not the cost of the repairs as you proceed.

That's not too far. That would be doable. I have family down that way anyway.

I think the ink absorbed more than anything. My mom did her best at getting it out so it's more of a discoloration on the one corner now.

If you have dents in your coffee tables so it may take some time to refinish it. Refinishing gives a new look to wooden coffee table at ease.