Leather on Your Vise?

glenn bradley

Finally got around to this (or was shamed into it by the visiting ghost of the Ambassador). The Next-next Workbench gets a leather face.

Vice leather (2).jpg . Vice leather (1).jpg . Vice leather (3).jpg

My previous "Next" workbench had leather on both jaws. It was suggested that I try just one jaw (I could always add the other jaw later) and I did. This provides all the grip I could want. I notice in the pictures it sort of looks like two pieces but, it is a single piece. I can now grip things with the finesse required to hold them securely but, allow a littl adjustment before cinching down. Very beneficial in the type of work I do.

Yep, although I cheaped out and only put it above the screws. Still works way better than without.

Adding it to the hold downs also completely changed how they worked for the better as well.

I used some oil tanned "latigo" leather and the piece I got had a bit more color than would perhaps be desirable as some will transfer off at times. I suspect it'll settle down eventually (or a few wipes with some mineral spirits to remove the top layer) so haven't stressed it to much. Just something to keep in mind next time I guess.

I see you have dog holes in your bench. Did you put some leather on the face of your hold-downs also?

My hold downs don't require a mallet but, still have rubber pads.

holddown-2.jpgholddown-4.jpgholddown-1.jpg

Took you a while to catch up Mr.Bradley. would have thought u of all people would have done that years ago. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My previous vise had leather on both jaws of both vises. I was just slow to get 'er done on the new bench ;-)

Last edited: