Conover lathe

Was it actually sold in that configuration originally, or was it a "kit": headstock, tailstock, DIY bed/stand/motor?

The "1" on the front end of that price seems, um...optimistic. Am I missing something?

That's a cool-looking piece of equipment, Don. I'm with Lee...$1,500 sure seems like a lot of money, unless that bed is wood-grained titanium or something. ;)

Good looking lathe there Don.
You better go back with your truck and snag that bugger :thumb:

Which reminds me. I need to run up north and bring my 8' vega with copy attachment home one of these days [stealth gloat ;) ]

If my memory servers me correctly, you could only buy the Conover "kit" which included head and tail stocks, tool rest, etc. In the late 60-70's I seem to recall that the kit sold for around $3K and you supplied your own motor. You have to remember that in the USA turning was a very small niche market in those days. Just shows how much better and cheaper tools have gotten over time...

Coming into this a bit late, but Ernie Conover (builder of this lathe) spoke to our woodworking group in November (two day seminar) and we talked a bit about this lathe. He and his father wanted a lathe that would meet specific needs, like columns IIRC, and in the 1980's and produced this lathe. A set of cast iron legs was available, but the parts came with plans for the wooden ways and legs. With it's beefy head and tail stocks, the lathe was, and is, considered a state of the art machine.