a genuine yellow wood?

Frank Fusco

Saw one of those home buying shows last night that had a house with yellow amarilla floors. Looked very nice. Googled it today and found, like many exoitic woods, it has many names. e.g. tarara amarilla, canarywood and many more.
Anyone here know it characteristics? Is it hard (probably is since it is used for floors), stringy, etc.? Wondering if it would turn nicely. And, the biggie......drum roll here.......does it retain it's yellow color or turn dark like Osage Orange?

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I had a piece of yellowheart, which was very yellow, and turned well. It split at the end when I put a little too much pressure on the tailstock, however. I did get a couple of nice candle holders out of it, which I gave to my daughter, and I don't know if they changed colour after that.

Canary Cocobolo Walnut & Maple 2.jpgIMG_2657.jpg

The open segmented has yellowheart and the second turning has Canarywood. Canarywood is a mixture of brown and yellow with a tint of orange. It hasn't faded in several years.

View attachment 95048View attachment 95049

The open segmented has yellowheart and the second turning has Canarywood. Canarywood is a mixture of brown and yellow with a tint of orange. It hasn't faded in several years.

Nice stealth post Mohammad. First time I have seen pics of your work and its very cool. I specifically like segmented turning so call me biased.
Nice to see you been busy.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have turned a number of pieces of pequia amarello, yellowheart and whatever else the wood goes by. It is a fine grained hard wood which I found easy to turn. I have never turned a large piece but I have turned many pieces into boxes.

Pequia Amarello 2.75TX2.5D (Small).jpg

Frank,
A plaque I made using Yellowheart has been hanging on the wall for about five years now, and it's still a brilliant yellow. It was finished with blond shellac, btw.

One thing I failed to mention is that there are people who are allergic to yellowheart. I had a turning instructor who was turning the wood for the first time and had swelling of the mucous membranes and a rash develop around his mouth. I have no idea what percentage of the population might find the wood to be a problem but in his case it was turn one time and never again.

One thing I failed to mention is that there are people who are allergic to yellowheart. I had a turning instructor who was turning the wood for the first time and had swelling of the mucous membranes and a rash develop around his mouth. I have no idea what percentage of the population might find the wood to be a problem but in his case it was turn one time and never again.

I was going to mention the smell. I have no reaction to the wood, but it does have one of the most interesting spicy smells when you cut it. (And no, I can't really compare it to something.)

I was going to mention the smell. I have no reaction to the wood, but it does have one of the most interesting spicy smells when you cut it. (And no, I can't really compare it to something.)

Thanks. All woods can present problems for some folks. I can handle Osage Orange, Red Cedar and Walnut with no problems except for fine dust. Their dust will irritate my nasal passages and throat. South American woods in particular can be very toxic and precautions are always in order.