Spalted Sycamore Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I finished this (and another bowl) last weekend, but I finally got around to getting the pics off my camera and resized tonight. This bowl is spalted sycamore, about 9" x 3 1/2" tall. I rough-turned it a bit thinner than I should have, so by the time I re-turned it round, the walls were only about 3/16" thick, and I was shooting for more like 3/8".

Bowl XX - 03 800.jpg

I also guess it wasn't quite as dry as I thought when I re-turned it, because it didn't stay round for long. The profile picture shows the warped rim. It did all the warping after I applied the finish.

Bowl XX - 02 800.jpg

It's also got a few cracks in the bottom that I left as-is. It'll work fine as a fruit bowl; I don't need it to hold water. The finish is several coats of Formby's Tung Oil mix, buffed through white diamond and waxed with Renaissance Wax.

Bowl XX - 01 800.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome...

Looks good, I like the spalting on that one, not too much, and very defined lines! :thumb:

I've had bowl warp on the final turning MUCH worse than that, and they were out od the DNA bath, wrapped and left to dry for 2 or three months.

I think sometimes the wood, when you get that thin, has it's own ideas.

Looks great!

What a beautiful piece of wood!:thumb: And nicely executed turning; it looks so smooth.:)
What is sycamore like to turn?

.....Gord
Thanks for the compliments, Gord. It was pretty easy to turn...not as much tearout as the spalted hackberry I've played with. It smelled sort of like wet dog (or dog urine) when I was turning it, though. Pretty stanky. :rolleyes:

...I've had bowl warp on the final turning MUCH worse than that, and they were out od the DNA bath, wrapped and left to dry for 2 or three months.

I think sometimes the wood, when you get that thin, has it's own ideas.

Looks great!
I only let this one sit about 2 or 3 weeks after the alcohol bath. I suspect if I had left it thicker, it might have cracked more than it did. When wood decides to move, there's not much stopping it, huh? ;) I turned another bowl from this wood, and it stayed intact nicely. I'll post pics of that one later.

What is sycamore like to turn?

I have the same question, but I hope to find out soon.

Hello all ... this is my first post. I spent several hours last week processing a bunch of sycamore wood that our local club president gave away at our last meeting. None of it is spalted like Vaughn's, but there is a lot of pink in the heartwood from this particular tree. (I'll start a separate thread with photos, etc.)

Meanwhile ... nice job, Vaughn!

Hey Kerry, welcome to the family. :wave: I think you'll like turning the sycamore. And $Free is always a good price. :D

Very nicely done Vaughn. With you going so thin it seems inevitable that something wierd might happen, nevertheless it is beautiful.:)
I have notice the smell of spalted sycamore running through the table saw and liken it to the smell to a pipe tobacco called Borkum Riff, a smell from years ago.
Shaz

Very nicely done Vaughn. With you going so thin it seems inevitable that something wierd might happen, nevertheless it is beautiful.:)
I have notice the smell of spalted sycamore running through the table saw and liken it to the smell to a pipe tobacco called Borkum Riff, a smell from years ago.
Shaz
Thanks, Shaz. You've got to smell the green sycamore to really appreciate the...uh...erm...aroma. :p

Vaughan nice piece. I love working with spalted wood. I have the same problem with the thin ones warping even though I think they are dry they still tend to become art pieces instead of bowls.
Ken