Dining Room Table

Made from Walnut. 72” x 42” with two 20” leafs so it is big when fully extended.

P3300007.JPG P3300006.JPG P3220008.JPG P3220009.JPG

Shop made veneer on top of maple plywood, backing walnut veneer on the bottom. Solid wood edge all around with mitered corners. Solid wood aprons and built up legs.
Transtint mission brown dye, shellac seal coat, many, many coats of General Finishes Satin Top Coat. Lots of fun for sure.
Now onto the buffet.
Thanks for looking.

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Bill, how long did it take to build is an excellent question. Started planing the wood on 10/16/2015. Had some hickups along the way .. more on that in a minute. Have a full time, 5 day/week, 8-9 hr day, taking care of the granddaughter. But I kept plugging along. Should have been done a couple months back but here are the hickups:
* put on the transtint dye .. did sample pieces, etc .. then went to put on the poly. Wanted to try a two part, water based, poly that is used for flooring ... tougher, clearer, more resistant to everything. Worked great on the small sample piece. Well, not at all good on the table. Solvated the die and streaked terribly. So, sand, sand, sand, buff, buff, redye and use a shellac seal coat, sprayed on. Then went with the old spray on, one part poly which has always worked great for me.

That all said, it came out great and I have learned a valuable lesson.

Allen, two reasons:
* did not want to see any end grain along the edge of the table
* did not want to deal with wood movement issues since the outer edge is wrapped in solid wood with mitered corners. Did not want the miters getting popped open.

It is not all that much more work overall.

thankyou for the reply.

expansion would certainly kill the outer mitres.

I haven't made many solid wood surfaces, but on one or two I went with breadboard ends.

I lack the confidence/talent to try to veneer an entire surface. the few Ive done I wasn't thrilled with.

Last edited: