Shop Tour and More

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Hiya everyone.

Some of you may have seen my shop addition updates via posts on another forum, but I thought I'd post here also. When we made the decision to move out of Florida, we settled on finding a place in South Georgia where we would have a little space and I could have a decent shop building. The place we bought is an acre at the end of a cul-de-sac and had an existing shop building.

The shop building was 16' wide by 24' deep. Electrical service had never been run to the building. I got help from a neighbor who is an electrical contractor and started wiring the existing building. In the meantime, I finished the layout for a 20' by 24' addition and hired a concrete contractor to pour the slab. I did most of the framing, assisted by a neighbor when it was time to raise a wall segment. More detail about the process can be seen on my website, www.bbarnold.com. Click on "Shop Addition" for a photo essay of the construction of the addition. Since the last photo update, I've completed the installation of 12 two-bulb recessed fluorescent fixtures in the ceiling of the addition and applied plywood to the ceiling.

The resulting size of the shop will be about 820 square feet on the bottom floor and about 360 square feet on the upper level. The latest addition to the shop is a 3hp Super Gorilla. I have a time-lapse movie of the installation on my website. Click on "Gorilla Movie".

If you're in the Thomasville area, stop by for a visit!

Last edited:
Hey Bill, that is one nice looking shop you have made yourselft!

I'm GREEN with envy!!:D

The Dust Gorilla moving was neat, you certainly can move fast!! :thumb:

Looks like a nice setting there for your homestead, thanks for the tour! :clap:

Nice shop Bill. Would you happen to have any more pics of the wall behind the chop saw? I like what you did with the pegboard. I have a similiar set up, long bench with drawers underneath, chopsaw on bench and want pegboard behind the saw. Curious to see how it finished out.

Doug

Nice shop Bill. Would you happen to have any more pics of the wall behind the chop saw? I like what you did with the pegboard. I have a similiar set up, long bench with drawers underneath, chopsaw on bench and want pegboard behind the saw. Curious to see how it finished out.

Doug
Doug,

I attached the pegboard directly to the studs, which are on 16" centers. Covering this wall required two pieces at the full 48" width and two cut to 32". They are simply butted against each other and screwed to the studs. The only trim I've installed so far is around the mitersaw box. As I continue along, I'll trim around the passages, etc., in much the same way as any doorway.

You may have noticed on the Gorilla photos that I'm using pegboard on the other walls as well. The plan is to attach 1/4" lauan to the bottom 4' of the wall and have 4' of pegboard above that all around the room. Pegboard is relatively inexpensive and I'll always have a simple means to hang stuff! :)

Attachments

• MS-Peg.jpg
    MS-Peg.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the info Bill. I was considering slatwall but it is expensive and I don't think the hooks stay put. I know there are several options for hooks/hangers when it comes to pegboard. I'm having a hard time finding 1/4thick pegboard. Most of what I've come across is 3/16" tempered. I found one source that was 1/4" but not tempered which caused me to worry about the overall strength. Did you go with tempered?

Doug

Thanks for the info Bill. I was considering slatwall but it is expensive and I don't think the hooks stay put. I know there are several options for hooks/hangers when it comes to pegboard. I'm having a hard time finding 1/4thick pegboard. Most of what I've come across is 3/16" tempered. I found one source that was 1/4" but not tempered which caused me to worry about the overall strength. Did you go with tempered?

Doug
I'm using the 3/16" thick tempered from Lowe's. Appears to be OK so far.