Old Pianos make me sad

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Free carved and burl veneered piano for the taking..

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/atq/5525182355.html

Pictures of the amazing walnut burl and carving preserved for posterity.
00L0L_jhlH1RtecyL_600x450.jpg

00i0i_2ThGUeq1fhg_600x450.jpg

No I'm not going to get it.. do you know what a pain in the neck these things are to work on? :rolleyes: Way past my pay grade.

Still the amount of work and effort that went into a lot of these old gems and now they're basically free (and possibly unusable, no idea on the condition of the sound board, etc..).

Pianos are a work of art. I know how they work and all, but like you said Ryan, way past my pay grade. I was told once that if the sound board wasn't cracked, then you have already won half the battle. I don't know about that. I mean come on. There's 88 keys. So, there are 88 gizmos hitting the strings. 88 strings. 88 keys. 88 hammers. Whoa. Not me. uhuh

Gutted it would make a really nice wine bar. ;)

I had one given to me once when I was 15 or so, spent the better part of my summer refinishing and rebuilding it. Was solid maple and had some fantastic carvings on the upper panel. Decided to have a piano guy come and give me an appraisal. He charged me $50, left me with a short list of things that needed repaired on it (around $500 in work and new strings), and an estimated value of $50 as is, along with a note saying "this is not an offer". :rolleyes: My sister ended up buying it from me for her kids and still has it.