Big John's Engine Saga continues

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
This afternoon the goal was to put the engine in the frame. Knew there would be an issue getting the u-joint of the drive shaft onto the engine shaft. There was. Took an hour of fuddling around. Had to finally file the shaft key down some. Then is slipped right on.

Started dropping the engine mount bolts in. Three went in with no problem. Number four was another story.

Bolt 4 misalignmentJPG.jpg

Time to contact the company and let them know their bracket is defective.

Oh, well. I was tired anyway.

That is a shame..
I always wondered how good those re-power kits were. My son has a 317 with Hydraulics that needs an engine... Looks as if you could retro that bracket if they would give yo some compensation... Cut it off move it down weld it back. Be interesting to see if the next one they send fits correctly or is the same..

I wonder if they messed up or if JD made some changes along the way they weren't aware of... Good Luck with it....

I am sure you want to get to the loader... I want to see it..

That is a shame..
I always wondered how good those re-power kits were. My son has a 317 with Hydraulics that needs an engine... Looks as if you could retro that bracket if they would give yo some compensation... Cut it off move it down weld it back. Be interesting to see if the next one they send fits correctly or is the same..

I wonder if they messed up or if JD made some changes along the way they weren't aware of... Good Luck with it....

I am sure you want to get to the loader... I want to see it..

I am sure they will replace it. The rail is welded at the incorrect angle for this tractor. Not an easy fix, even for an expert welder. I will keep you all posted. Other than that, I am happy so far. The reviews on this motor via the tractor forums is great. The supplier got good kudos as well, so I am not particularly worried.

And I too am looking forward to the loader! So much to do first. Hope I took enough pictures to get the tractor back together after the motor is running!