Shooting Board with Lee Valley Track

glenn bradley

This is the latest application of the method I have settled on for these things. This one gets multiple fence positions and a 45* fence instead of a triangle that attaches to the 90* fence. The "hook" is also moved up from the end by about 2-1/2". This is more comfortable for me based on my height, reach, etc.

Simple and quick to make (LV track not required but, really nice Xmas gift). I have found that it is nice to have a little wiggle room now and again so I have moved that feature forward onto this version. I make my 90* fence adjustable about a degree each way and the 45* fence adjustable a couple of degrees each way. The knob and fender washer keep the fence put once set until I change it.

Shootingboard v2 (1).jpgShootingboard v2 (2).jpgShootingboard v2 (3).jpgShootingboard v2 (4).jpgShootingboard v2 (5).jpg

The plane works like a champ. Must've been that expert help I had with it. A good test is to shoot a couple of pieces with prepared surfaces to reference from, then place them end to end against another reference surface. If the faces line up both directions, you're generally OK. These are two random pieces out of the scrap bin with some surfaces planed true. They are different thicknesses and the other surfaces are rough but, you get the idea.

temp 001.jpg

I've been using my low angle Jack as a shooter, but have wondered if the shooting plane is enough easier to justify it. Still kind of on the fence.

A better shooting board like this setup would be worth doing anyway. Currently I'm just using a primitive bench hook as a dual duty setup but my bench isn't perfect so it takes a bit of fiddling at times.

My board for the LAJ has a retaining strip that works quite well. If it wasn't for Xmas and the Lee Valley wish list I would still be using it.

SB-Guide-Rail-1.jpg . SB-Guide-Rail-2.jpg . SB-Guide-Rail-3.jpg