2 x 4 Benchtop Helpers

glenn bradley

I was going to make some shorter versions of my Torsion Beams. A coworker came upon a load of 2 x 4's that had been used for some local construction, free for the asking. I took a dozen or so thinking I would use them for something. I cut some to general length, jointed one face and laminated them together. I then jointed one face and bandsawed the edges basically even. A little jointer and planer work and I get these for not much time and no actual cash outlay:

Bench Helpers (1).jpg . Bench Helpers (2).jpg

The tiered scrap bins are to the left of my bench position. I can keep them there so they are handy but, still out of the way.

Bench Helpers (4).jpg

Free lumber for any use is always good. I like your tiered bins. You can see what you have without rooting thru piles for just that piece that will finish a project. I have one of those rolling ply cart with bins on the side. Useful but very heavy with everything on board and the side bins are a waste. Always a mess and you have no idea what you really have. One question, how deep did you make them or do they vary?

One question, how deep did you make them or do they vary?

I made them modular; that is each unit is a component unto itself. This turned out to be a good idea as I added several tiers to those in the original plan. It sounds silly but, I kept a hash-mark sheet for the approximate length of cutoff I came up over three or four projects. Your requirements may be very different. They are 40", 30", 27", 24", and 18" with the intention of adding a 12". I wish I would have put the 12" on right away as the top has now become a nesting area for plywood panels too small for the panel bin and too big to toss. the stair-step configuration is very serviceable. If there is something too high to reach comfortably you just step up on the lower level like climbing stairs.

Scrap Bins V3.jpg

Speaking of free wood, the trigger for finally making these was a load of free plywood from some remodeling work next door. You can see that there is a platform that raises the whole rig off the floor to avoid capillary moisture wicking. This platform also allowed me to create a level base on which to stack. Each level is screwed to the one beneath and to wall studs through the back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've got to make a few of those. Just as I thought on lengths. I think I will trash my cart like this [URL="https://blog.lazyhacker.com/2011/03/plywood-cart-lumber-cart.html] and build something separate for plywood. Maybe then I can find those small scraps (I just could not throw away) for future use. Mine is just to heavy to move and I bought the best casters (300lbs. load each). I build a similar rack for the shop at work but it was a open frame of 2x4's and not plywood. Much lighter and just as functional. Live and learn. Thanks again for the information.