dresser project

Dan Noren

Staff member
feels good to be back at it again! got the parts for the top laid out and cut today. working on more parts tomorrow.

Attachments

• 001 top marked and ready for cutting.jpg
    001 top marked and ready for cutting.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 29
after stopping by the cabinet shop to pick up another bit of white oak for another anniversary plaque, i checked with the owner as to how much it would cost to run the boards through his planer. he said a better idea would be to glue up the boards, and bring in the blank, and he would run it through his big belt sander. smoothing and flattening in the same process. so, i glued up the boards for the top today. i can't wait to see how they come out, as these are the last of the bookmatched, rift sawn white oak.

Attachments

• 004 top boards glued up.jpg
    004 top boards glued up.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 30
all ripped to width, planing starts tomorrow, due to late start today (the wife :blah: let me sleep until noon today).

Attachments

• 005 all parts cut to size.jpg
    005 all parts cut to size.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 19
i would say compliment, rather than match. herself :blah: wants all of the bedroom furniture dark. so, i mixed up more of the dye that i used on the chair for the fair a few years ago. it will be that, and shellac.

after several hours of planing, corbel blanks are ready, side frame parts are ready, 4.25", 6", and 8" drawer faces are ready, top backer and bottom kickplates are ready. only items left are the internal frame parts, and the dividers for the drawers. only 1/8" to go....

had enough planing for a while, and ordered up a straight routing bit for a 7/8" dado. started the gluing up of parts, starting with the end frames, and then starting in on the internal frames.

Attachments

• 006 end frames glued up.jpg
    006 end frames glued up.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 17
  • 007 first of interior frames glued up.jpg
    007 first of interior frames glued up.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 18
got the second frame in the clamps early today, then took the top to be sanded, worked out really nice. dropped off the plywood for the back and side panels, and put the third of 5 frames in clamps. i may do the other 2 later on today.

Attachments

• 009 top sanded and squared up.jpg
    009 top sanded and squared up.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 20
  • 008 second interior frame glued up.jpg
    008 second interior frame glued up.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 19
ok, got the pic of the third, fourth, and fifth internal frames glued up, and a better pic of the top. turns out i made a bit of a boo-boo, and the top is a couple of inches less deep than the frames and end frames. with that realized, i checked my options, cut a bit from all 5 internal frames, and the side frames, or, add a 3 inch strip to the back of the top. i plan on taking the easy route, and add the three inch strip.

Attachments

• 010 third interior frame glued up.jpg
    010 third interior frame glued up.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 011 fourth interior frame glued up.jpg
    011 fourth interior frame glued up.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 012 fifth interior frame glued up.jpg
    012 fifth interior frame glued up.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 013 better look at the top.jpg
    013 better look at the top.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 16
cut, planed, and glued the new board to the top. now all is well. checked out the overhang with the side frames, and a couple of the corbel blanks. now i'm just waiting on the new router bit to show up.

Attachments

• 015 setting side frames in place to check overhang.jpg
    015 setting side frames in place to check overhang.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 014 new board added to the top.jpg
    014 new board added to the top.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 16
busy day yesterday, got the rabbets routed for the side panels, and the dadoes routed for the frames. i'll have to take them to the local cabinet maker to run through his big sander to knock them down to a cat hair under 7/8". found out they were a touch big for the dadoes. built a t square routing jig for the top rabbet for the uppermost frame. did a quick setup of the carcass too.

Attachments

• 021 test setup of carcass.JPG
    021 test setup of carcass.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 020 side dadoes done.JPG
    020 side dadoes done.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 019 top edge routed.JPG
    019 top edge routed.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 018 t square guide for routing.JPG
    018 t square guide for routing.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 017 side panel rabbets routed.JPG
    017 side panel rabbets routed.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 11
after a bit of fun trying to hand sand the ends of the frames to fit the dadoes, i took them to the local cabinet shop for a ride through the big sander. need to do some fine tuning, and did another test assembly with longer zip ties. i put the top and backer board on it to see how it would look, and called the wife :blah: to the garage, and she gave her approval.

Attachments

• 021 test setup of carcass.JPG
    021 test setup of carcass.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 022 second test setup of carcass front.jpg
    022 second test setup of carcass front.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 023 second test setup back.jpg
    023 second test setup back.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 20
  • 024 test setup with top and backer board.jpg
    024 test setup with top and backer board.jpg