Big John success!

I read somewhere recently that if you end up with parts left over, that just means you've made improvements to the original design. :D

My vo-tech automotive teacher didn't seem to think so. We had an oil pan full of bolts and brackets left after rebuilding an engine. He made us take the whole thing back out and start over with the orders to "find homes for all of them". Of course from that point on we just threw the left overs in the trash. :eek:

Leo, my tractor is model 400. It was only built from the middle '70's to the early '80's. The reason I got it was the frame and axles. The frame is 1/4" steel and the axles are cast iron. They have not made tractors in the garden class like that in decades. The tractors at the borgs are meant only to cut grass, not move dirt and not haul much either. The frames and axles are bent sheet metal spot welding or pop riveted together. And the rest is plastic. But people buy based on advertised horsepower, so there is a market for that junk.

You have to match the job to the machine. I want to move dirt. I don't have a mower deck and don't want one. The newer machines that can move dirt are pricey, 5 digits and up. Not counting the implements. Those are the two reasons I went for the older machine. It will have tons of sweat equity and still lots of dollars but it will do the intended job.

Did you compare the two motor mounts? Wondering if the defective one you originally received, was just drilled wrong, or if it was for another model?

What did you originally give for the tractor? Are there other model numbers that are similar? (need to find all these threads, I think)
Why do I picture you in a helmet and somebody has pinstriped flames on the tractor, and modified the horn to make a Tim Taylor grunt?:rofl:

I just bought a D140 from Lowes.

It has cast iron axels and a decent frame, but certainly not in the same class as a 3 family John Deere which can be set up to move dirt, and costs a whole lot more money.

I am thinking that I can work my way up to a 300 series some day.

I am beginning to really get "green" with envy over the setup you are working on there.

Did you compare the two motor mounts? Wondering if the defective one you originally received, was just drilled wrong, or if it was for another model?

What did you originally give for the tractor? Are there other model numbers that are similar? (need to find all these threads, I think)
Why do I picture you in a helmet and somebody has pinstriped flames on the tractor, and modified the horn to make a Tim Taylor grunt?:rofl:

Did not compare them. Don't care. This works. I gave too much for the tractor to begin with but I have to give what's needed to get what you want. I have worn a helmet, both for riding motorcycles and back in the day, racing cars. No pinstriped flames anywhere though. Now the horn. Doesn't have one, but I could alter that. Maybe something that sounds like a locomotive, or an 18 wheeler. Not impressed with Tim Taylor.

Wonder if I could get a small compressor that would work to fire off an air horn? It could go on top of the golf car canopy it will have, along with the slow moving sign, flashing yellow lights, work lights and 180º mirror. Hmmmmm.....

You guys are bad. You make me think of impractical but cool things.

[In my thickest Aussie accent]

You call that a horn? Now THIS is a horn:

ert33855.jpg

I'll bet it could be painted John Deere green. :D