5th Floor Renovation

Saturday here, so I have the place to myself again which is nice!
I got the second layer of drywall done with the green glue.
I'll remove one set of the blue mats on the floor then cover up the window area so I can work inside without making a huge mess.
The sound insulation that will fill the wall cavities should be here on Monday, do I'll run the electrical and get ready for that.
Oh yeah, I caught a cold, sore throat and a runny nose.

f808565bc258c7b980095183e4311edf.jpg

33541410fb4c7ab435b6f6b8e2af334e.jpg

Here is another time lapse.
https://vimeo.com/164799411

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domo

Last edited:
It turns out I'm going to have to do some minor surgery on a wall to run my electrical. I fooled around with the fish for a couple of hours and the wall cavity in question is just too full of existing stuff.
I might be the last guy to get one, but I bought a Bosch Multi tool.
I got the 10.8 volt cordless one as I have the small Bosch 10.8 volt drill.

Cheers!
3f29505459b01b9fc4c960d942610316.jpg

473de680bae91c23ba2335d8881ef5a5.jpg

24ef03a5b3cbe7db95c061377fc8f742.jpg

46de34d577691c8e81705049e25a21be.jpg

Ooooh new tools . I have a pair of their drills and like them too. The battery operated multi tool will be nice and real handy for the purpose.

Pitty u so far away, Harbor Freight sells a nice affordable range of reasonable quality blade attachments that fit these things universally.

You know the ways and means comittee can always facilitate making sure they in Peters luggage next visit if u ever need.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-high-carbon-steel-multi-tool-serrated-knife-blade-68908.html
There is a whole range of them this is just the first that popped up.

They really not bad at all for the price and work well.

Yep those are about 1/2 of what I paid, but I have to wonder if they are as good as the Bosch...?

I imagine not. But, after reading so many folks that have been running them for years, I blew a whole $18 on one for a kitchen remodel this last weekend. Paid for itself in about the first 15 minutes. I am sure your Bosch will be around for the duration. If the HF survives this job, I'm good ;-)

The Bosch in that video is a carbide tooth blade, the others were bimetalic or TiN coated, the HF is high carbon. I would expect the carbide to last just a bit longer :D

The Imperial blades are pretty good blades - for bimetalic or TiN coated blades and the price is better than the fein anyway :rolleyes:

Looks like Dremel also has some carbide blades:
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM485B-Universal-Carbide-3-Pack/dp/B00FBHFY3K

I haven't tried any of the carbide tooth ones but its something I'll be keeping in mind if I ever need to do a dirty job with lots of nails and gunk because those will eat up the other blades pretty fast.

The Bosch in that video is a carbide tooth blade, the others were bimetalic or TiN coated, the HF is high carbon. I would expect the carbide to last just a bit longer :D

The Imperial blades are pretty good blades - for bimetalic or TiN coated blades and the price is better than the fein anyway :rolleyes:

Looks like Dremel also has some carbide blades:
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM485B-Universal-Carbide-3-Pack/dp/B00FBHFY3K

I haven't tried any of the carbide tooth ones but its something I'll be keeping in mind if I ever need to do a dirty job with lots of nails and gunk because those will eat up the other blades pretty fast.

thanks for the info Ryan, I was not aware of the Carbide blade, they surely should last longer, and I'm sure they were more expensive.

Domo

thanks for the info Ryan, I was not aware of the Carbide blade, they surely should last longer, and I'm sure they were more expensive.

Domo

Just to make sure I didn't confuse (..

The Bosch OSC114C in the video you linked is also carbide - http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-OSC114C-4-Inch-Multi-Tool-Carbide/dp/B00ELC9R9S

I was curious why it appear to be sturdier, and the carbide vs hss steel explained it.

The Fein blades aren't all that well wearing in my experience, but I haven't compared them to anything except the Imperial so its a pretty limited sample set.

Just to make sure I didn't confuse (..

The Bosch OSC114C in the video you linked is also carbide - http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-OSC114C-4-Inch-Multi-Tool-Carbide/dp/B00ELC9R9S

I was curious why it appear to be sturdier, and the carbide vs hss steel explained it.

The Fein blades aren't all that well wearing in my experience, but I haven't compared them to anything except the Imperial so its a pretty limited sample set.

OK that one you linked to from Amazon.com is $15.79 USD, here is the Japanese version of it.
That is 7,883 yen plus 340yen shipping and it will take 3-5 weeks for a total of $77.16.... yeah....

Amazon.com wants 575 yen for shipping to Japan, so that is 1,748 yen plus 575 yen for a total of 2,323 yen, and it will come in about a week.....

Pitty u so far away, Harbor Freight sells a nice affordable range of reasonable quality blade attachments that fit these things universally.

You know the ways and means comittee can always facilitate making sure they in Peters luggage next visit if u ever need. .

Yup, "free shipping", don't hesitate to ask! I've carried stranger things in my luggage (nothing truly wicked, of course!), as you know :D

Next trip will be early Oct, if all goes well.

Well Stu keep in mind the mule (lol Peter) is heading your way later in the year and i am pretty sure i will be heading down to Hf before then or even if we engineer getting it from amazon.com there are some serious savings to be had.

I never knew there was a carbide version of these blades. To see that cutting a piece of rebar, well i never ever figured on using a multi tool to do that.

Well what day today has been.
I got the basic shells built for the window light and sound blocker panels, and the fit!
2fdbeb9a75818c500b39456c6df41d91.jpg

aa343043e1d251de5b325d6aad6e4836.jpg

I'll paint them black, add handles and the soundproof foam to the backsides, as well as some weather strip like stuff to the edges to block light and sound. Should work out well.

Next up is to get the electrical into the wall... What a pain.
b5f0feeaa98b79b21fd37c648dd4056c.jpg

I need to go about two feet from the plug on the right to the wall there on the left.

dbe92c72af042ac69fc30d4e28d6c6c9.jpg

Turns out the end of that wall is full of AC coolant lines. Just not going to work.
I had to go all the way up the wall, then over the ceiling and back down the new wall to the bottom. I could not get into the top of the new wall. The top has a big steel beam that supports the folding door track, no can do, the right side of the wall is full of AC stuff. The left side wall is about 1/2" off the concrete outer wall.
Oh boy...

I decided to make a bump out on the top right side. Did I mention that I also need to provide a conduit from the other room to the bottom left side of the wall for the AV guys?
Yeah....
ae2c782de8225e1f4ff4e89058f3204d.jpg

I will have a small bump out at the top right, once covered with black wallpaper I'm sure I'll be the only one who notices it.
dab5180cf352c98d895bc50113e7ad88.jpg

It will work I guess.

a67abed453f749d99c7f4b949f3c4a74.jpg

Here you can see that I did get the power down to the bottom right of the wall, but it sir took the scenic route.

Going to be a long night.

I used to operate a construction business that included soundproofing...I did some work at Wright Patterson Air force Base in Dayton, Ohio and I also did some work for Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati, Ohio...WE used a whole variety of things to stop any outside infiltration: Different varieties of sound broad, 1/8th" cold rolled Lead sheets, stainless steel that blocks radio waves, Acoustic ceiling Panels, We had a product that was made of rubber that could be used on the floor, walls, and ceiling but I can't remember the name of it.....One thing I never did was install soundproof glass....All the areas that I ever worked on had no windows.

Spent the morning shopping, all my wholesalers have been closed for Golden week, yes the home centers are open, but I use the trades wholesalers when I can, better prices and you often get someone who knows what they are talking about. The electrical wholesaler is great, I'm like a kid in a candy store there. I finally bought one of those testers that will tell you if the wire is live or not, great little unit.
Getting ready to button up this wall.
The white stuff is sound insulation, I put in two layers, each is 50mm thick, so that is 100mm (4") of sound insulation. With the outside and inside layers of 1/2" drywall and the green glue, I hope the wall is soundproof enough.
Should have the wall done today, that puts me ahead of the schedule, which has me nervous, that is usually when something goes completely sideways....
2e8bdc31aebaaf623eea628e0fea9a9b.jpg

c5c6d9bdaadce779be556a33955b069d.jpg

One layer of drywall and it was time to head home.

Today I'll get the second layer with the green glue done, then clean up and haul all the tools and materials I'm done with out of here.

f67bcf78f64f2dd90f82c76ae271ab48.jpg

I'll be ready for the wallpaper guys on Tuesday.
Domo