New Member with an Old Lathe

steve morris

new here, but ive been turning for several years

im also an old machinery guy

this is my 1940's Henry Tools Craftmaster lathe

a few nice features, multiple speed jackshaft, 1hp Hoover motor, reversing switch

002 (2).JPG

PA010010.jpg

PA010012.jpg

there's no sheet metal and diecast aluminum in any of my tools, the're all older than most of us

for the lathe guys, this lathe has a 4 speed in the headstock then im driving it with a 5 speed jackshaft. to use the 8 inch pulley, i have to switch belts. takes me 15 seconds

speed range is from 200 to 4000 plus rpm

main power switch is the manual starter on the stand, the switch on the motor reverses the motor by changing the "polarity" of the start circuit

Welcome aboard, Steve. :wave: I'll echo Carol's comment about the curves. Very cool-looking lathe, and it appears to be in tip-top condition.

Welcome aboard, Steve, from another Canadian fellow! What part of Canada?

not far from you actually roger, sarnia, ont, about 3 hrs west

and for everyone, thanks for the welcome

wait till you see the bandsaw, a hint: its definetly older than everybody here

Last edited:
A 90 year old bandsaw? Geez I hope it looks better at age 90 than I do. Gone are the days of a snappy looking uniform and the gals going, "Bonnggg" or whistling.

I did enjoy your streamline lathe. I had an old Delta that had some of the same character.

Enjoy and WELCOME Aboard,
JimB

A 90 year old bandsaw? Geez I hope it looks better at age 90 than I do. Gone are the days of a snappy looking uniform and the gals going, "Bonnggg" or whistling.

I did enjoy your streamline lathe. I had an old Delta that had some of the same character.

Enjoy and WELCOME Aboard,
JimB

close, its actually 101 yrs old