tostonero project

Dan Noren

Staff member
this is a prototype, and to be given to one of our friends at church. it is used to make a variant of tostones, that are shaped like a cup, the other variation is outright flat. to make them, take an average plantain, deep fry it a bit, then take it to the tostonero, and smash it flat, then finish frying it. with the other one, it is put into a press, and it makes a sort of plantain cup, which is then filled, and cooked. i'm using some odd cuts of cherry for this one. the finish will be good old mineral oil.

Attachments

• 001 cherry boards planed.jpg
    001 cherry boards planed.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 002 boards cut to length and width.jpg
    002 boards cut to length and width.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
Well Dan you sure got my fingers searching google.

Here is what i found but i am trying to put the pieces together.

So whats the filling ?

Dan i was raised with having fried banana for breakfast when there are over ripe banana in the house. Thing is they very sweet so one gets stretched between two people. But not had fried plantain. Are they sweet once fried.

http://www.eltostonero.com/images/F-L. TOSTONERA COMBO.JPG
http://www.eltostonero.com/images/B-TOSTONE RELLENO.JPG

You planning on cutting these with your cnc or template and router?

Last edited:
Welp there's the extended word of the day.. tostonero! :rofl:

We've made tostones before but only the flat kind and those we just made with a fork. I'll be interested to see what these ones look like if you get to try the product post production. I'm curious about the filling as well... the picadillo stuffed ones look pretty tasty!

Rob,

The Plantains are a bit of a starchy banana, not super sweet. Usually (at least when we made them, Dan correct as needed for your variant) we'd use them a bit green so even less sweet/more starchy. The first frying softens them up a bit so you can squish them good and flat then the second frying makes them nice and crispy. We mostly made the flat ones when we were in Hawaii and could get reasonable plantains - and ate them with Philipino style banana ketchup (yep ketchup made from bananas, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_ketchup).

got the blank glued up today. too hot for anything else. may be able to trim it up a bit tomorrow, depending on errands and such.

Attachments

• 003 bottom blank glued up.jpg
    003 bottom blank glued up.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 21
cleaned up the bottom blank, and adjusted the top today. picking up the maple dowel for the top tomorrow. i'm going to use the 2" forstner bit for the bottom, and the 1.5" for the top. once that is in place, its put on the hinges (stainless steel), a good coat of mineral oil, and it will be done.

Attachments

• 004 bottom blank cleaned up.jpg
    004 bottom blank cleaned up.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 005 bottom blank with top.jpg
    005 bottom blank with top.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 16
not much going on in the shop today (whole back to work thing), but i did manage to get the drill hole marks laid out. the base will have the 2" dia, 1.5" deep holes, and the top will have 1.5" holes, .25" deep, for the dowels. i figure that having them inset like that will add strength to them, rather than just gluing them to the face. also, i'll be adding a little bit of a chamfer to the edges of the 2" holes.

Attachments

• 006 drilling points marked.jpg
    006 drilling points marked.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 20
back in the shop again! boy that work stuff gets in the way at times. did a test drilling for the dowels, and that worked out ok, good snug fit. so, on to drilling the top, then the holes in the base. then i chamfered the tops of the holes in the base to ease the way for the dowels when it shuts. then i drilled the holes for the hinge screws, and attached the hinges (stainless steel, as it will be washed more than a few times). then did a test run with the dowels held in place with a small bit of double sided tape. it closed as nice as could be, without hitting anything. all that is left is to disassemble it, sand it, glue in the dowels, hit it with mineral oil, and reassemble it.

Attachments

• 014 closes ok.jpg
    014 closes ok.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 013 dowels test fitted.jpg
    013 dowels test fitted.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 012 dowels cut.jpg
    012 dowels cut.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 20
  • 011 hinges attached.jpg
    011 hinges attached.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 010 holes for hinge screws.jpg
    010 holes for hinge screws.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 009 holes in base chamfered.jpg
    009 holes in base chamfered.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 008 holes in base drilled.jpg
    008 holes in base drilled.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 007 holes for dowels drilled.jpg
    007 holes for dowels drilled.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 19
did the finishing sanding today. glued in the dowels, and coated everything with mineral oil. turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• 017 finished open.jpg
    017 finished open.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 016 finished closed.jpg
    016 finished closed.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 015.5 dowels glued in place.jpg
    015.5 dowels glued in place.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 015 all parts sanded.jpg
    015 all parts sanded.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 13
on to the next step, production run! today i cut the rest of the maple dowel to see how many i can get away with making. i wound up with 9 sets. what i plan on doing, is to salvage some walnut boards (really knotty), along with some extra maple from the cutting board project, to get the depth of the bottom part right. i'm also thinking of upping the diameter of the holes in the bottom as well.

Attachments

• 018 dowels for production run.jpg
    018 dowels for production run.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 11