cherry lumber and plywood night stands

allen levine

My daughter(one of my two clients) asked me for nightstands for next to bed.
I have a lot of cherry lumber, so everything will be cherry for a bit.
I asked her for picture of what she wanted, she said, no legs, no open bottom, so without plans, I just winged it and did each part as I went along.
Solid cherry top.
I put a center stile in door because I had a lot of narrow strips of 1/4 cherry ply left from other builds, good way to use it without having to cut my last cherry sheet up for wide door panel.simple birch play for drawers, glue and brads.no 3/4 cherry ply for inside base, so I used some old maple ply with a cherry edge so it will match outside when stained. easy peasy pocket screws of fun.
Nothing fancy, a lot of pocket screws,furniture to use. still have to sand and clean up some parts, adjust things, stain and spray.
heres a look.

Attachments

• nightstand 023.jpg
    nightstand 023.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 71
  • nightstand 019.jpg
    nightstand 019.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 59
  • nightstand 018.jpg
    nightstand 018.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 61
  • nightstand 017.jpg
    nightstand 017.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 60
  • nightstand 016.jpg
    nightstand 016.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 66
the only thing I would have done differently, is the bottom toe kick? part, I would have put an arc in it, but my daughter says no, then dust and stuff can underneath it and would have to be cleaned all the time.(carpeted floor)

Those look great, Allen! I really like the proportions. :thumb: You "wing it" for a couple of days and come up with something nicer than I'd be able to design and build in a month. :D

tom, most of it is pocket screws. just the door and drawerfront frames are routed

the staining process had a hiccup. I should have stained the maple ply with cherry edge before I attached the cherry strip. It bled into the maple ply, so I had to stain the maple ply so it doesn't look messy for lack of a better word.
This maple ply was not in the best shape, old, and a bit scratched up, but at least the cherry edge onto maple doesn't show any bleeding of dark stain onto maple colored ply.(I think it looks better than what it did, and it is inside the unit. If I ever purchase another sheet of 3/4 cherry ply, I can and will remake the bottom. I wont glue it in, only let the pocket screws hold it in place for now, I have plenty of stain, and making a new bottom will only take me 30 minutes)
adjustments, if the client doesn't like it , well, tuff luck, next time pay your father.

Attachments

• staind 005.jpg
    staind 005.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 17