cutting board save project

Dan Noren

Staff member
a new and unexpected project! well, the last board, on the last pass on the planer got a bite taken out of it. instead of pitching it into the pile of wood that has no name, i thought, i can plane it down to flat again and see what happens. so, after a few more rides in the planer, saved the blank with not too much of a loss of lumber. then it was off to the table saw, and the awaiting sled. cut it down to as many saveable strips as possible (due to the loss of lumber). turned them up on end grain, flipped every other one, and decided that it would make a nice housewarming gift for my nephew. now it resides in the clamps (using the good titebond 3), awaiting a trip to the big sander, with its thicker cousins.

Attachments

• 001 planer bit this one.jpg
    001 planer bit this one.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 002 planed smooth again.jpg
    002 planed smooth again.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 003 strips cut.jpg
    003 strips cut.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 004 turned on end grain.jpg
    004 turned on end grain.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 005 every other one flipped.jpg
    005 every other one flipped.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 006 glued up and in clamps.jpg
    006 glued up and in clamps.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 28
Came out just fine. Do you program to assort cuts for end grain? Or just do your thing? I make these and let my mind run wild.
Looks real good.
David

thanks guys!

jon - i don't have too bad of a problem with that. i manage to knock off most of the squeeze out after a few minutes when it is pliable, then the sander at the local cabinet shop has an easier go of it.