Finally Yelled UNCLE!!!

Dave Hoskins

I have been having some bad back pain lately, and it was just getting worse. Even with heat, TENS machine, muscle rub it was not getting better. Of course I admit that if I had just laid low and did nothing for several days, it might have. But, I had things to do and was determined to get 'em done. Now I know it's nothing like major heart problems and the like, but it sure is miserable. While I was still in the Marines a colonel friend of mine told me you don't have to practice to be miserable. Anyway, while I was walking back towards the house all stooped over and barely moving I told my girlfriend that I was breaking down and take me to the ER. Now. Not later. Anyway, I was a bit concerned that it might have been a disc problem as I already have a fusion in my back and two in the neck. Nope. The diagnosis was severe arthritic irritation in the lower spine which is what was causing all the muscle spams and such. So, I gots to lay low for 3-4 days, totally. No playing with the wood or anything. Which seeing I'm tired of the misery I can manage to do. Works out real well as we have another series of thunderstorms moving in starting tonight. Supposed to have it all this weekend and next week. So, all should be well in a few days. Get to be totally lazy which is not in my blood but will have to adapt. I just thank the Big Man upstairs that this is all that it was.:D

Dave this is in my mind the scariest part of getting older. Its easy if one had or is comfortable with being a couch potato but if one has had a life of being a doer and active then for its a nightmare.
Take time rest up and bounce back. Hope it heals quick.

Backaches are miserable! I have three collapsed discs, and have also had a pinched sciatic nerve. Not fun, for sure, but still not as serious as what you're experiencing. Sure hope the several days of rest are all you need. Good luck!

Thanks, guys! They be miserable for sure. I don't know Jim. I think yours might be a tad bit more of a problem. Collapsed discs can't be any fun at all. And, yes Rob. It's all part of getting older. The body parts just don't hold up as well as they used to. Actually when I look back I wonder if they ever did. I think it might be just a delayed reaction from all the abuse we gave our bods when we were younger. Again Rob, you are right. I have never been one to let the dust settle under my feet. I'm not hyperactive. I just don't like wasting a good day's time sitting around like a dingbat. I always felt that the day is wasted if you didn't accomplish something. Doesn't have to be something big, just something. I guess I'll have the chance to do something I told myself to do a while back. Sit back and watch the whole HBO series of Deadwood, start to finish. Haven't watched it in some time. Now's my chance.

AWK!!! I hope that doesn't happen. Weeks is not a option that I wish to pursue. Got too much stuff going on for that. If worse comes to worse I get some sort of brace to help out some. But, I don't think it will take that. Just have to play recliner spud for a short while with dogs in my lap.

Sorry about your body woes. No matter what the cause it hurts. Get caught up on computer stuff and reading. Time will fly and back at the good battle. The best to you. Getting old ain't for sissies.
David

Thanks, guys! They be miserable for sure. I don't know Jim. I think yours might be a tad bit more of a problem. Collapsed discs can't be any fun at all... It's all part of getting older. The body parts just don't hold up as well as they used to...

One 'remedy' that helps me a lot is my inversion table. Mine is a "Teeter Hang-Up," but there are other brands. My chiropractor recommended it. Spending 10~15 minutes hanging nearly upside down (60° slope) on it really helps stretch things out and removes pressure on the discs. The chiropractor was using a traction table to treat me, but the inversion rig actually works better. YMMV.

Some of this is a mind game, Dave. Dwelling on what you have to do or want to do does not help your physical situation. Dwell on getting better and don't push it. Getting older means we have to get better at playing that game because this won't be the only time. Find another activity that allows you to rest the back and still make you feel productive. Gutting out pain is simply ignoring what your body is telling you and making matters much worse. Nothing macho, manly, or strong about that.

I now have to live with pain each day because I did not learn to take care of me when the body indicated it needed attention. We are not getting any younger. It won't get any easier. We just have to get better at dealing with it. Mind over matter does not mean ignore the issue. It means get smarter about it. You are officially added to my growing prayer list. I know you didn't ask but that is part of being family here.

Hey Dave I hope you get well soon. Prayers being sent.

I seem to be getting older at an exhilarated rate & it isn't exhilarating to realize.

I got the LOML through her situation with almost 4th stage adrenal gland failure. Then spent every other 2 weeks for a full year taking care of my Dad till he passed. Then I found out from a complete physical at the VA & follow up in Neurology that I have Parkinson's the slow type & type 2 diabetes. Now I've restrained my lower back to where the left sciatic nerve is pinched off & on. That wasn't enough we read where bicycle riding has a prolonged good effect on Parkinson's.
A friend gave me an almost new 18 speed mountain bike so I was using a allen wrench to check
thing over before riding it & something went grind sprong in my Rt. shoulder now I can't lift my arm above my head without pain. So it's off to an appointment at the VA next Friday for this.

Getting older isn't quick but it is surprising in many ways. So if we don't mind when we should we will mind when we can't.

Last edited:
Bart, I wish you the best of the best. That had to be a blow to you. Guess we all just have to deal with the cards that are dealt. Carol, not actually dwelling on the situation. Just getting in my 5 minutes of complaining for the month. I think all should be allowed 5 minutes of complaining or whining and then they need to get on with it. I mainly just don't like taking pain pills and strong muscle stuff. I don't enjoy taking anything that alters my mental faculties. Not even alcohol. But, I know I have to this time and will and I know it will get better. Sometimes I think jumping out of all those helicopters and airplanes all those years ago was not such a bright idea now. :huh: